UKAuthors reactivat...

UKAuthors reactivated  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
wabdadmin
(@wabdadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

We've had to delete the original UKAuthors website due to issues with our old hosting provider. The entire database has been brought over to our new hosting provider and we have decided to reactivate the ORIGINAL UKA forums as a stand-alone website - UKA Community Forums.

This is because we are not sure which way to go with WABD/UKA. 

In the coming weeks, we will try to work out the best way forward for WABD/UKA. 

The forums that now form the main UKAuthors.com website are active and all the original posts are still there. Your original accounts are still working so you are free to post forum threads as before. 

More soon.

Posted : 31/12/2016 11:32 pm
sirat
(@sirat)
Reputable Member

Does that mean that all the stories we had stored on the old site are also gone? You told us previously that there was no need to download or back up those because they  would be permanently available on the old archived site.

EDIT

I’ve just had a look and it’s all there at the moment, so panic over. However, just in case, would it be possible to provide a link that would allow us to download all of our own archive of submissions in one go? I think it would be a sensible precaution if it isn’t too much trouble.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2017 4:59 am
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Trusted Member

I have to say that I find this pretty confusing. There's forums on wabd, which to use? I think it would be better to decide which way to go and do it rather than haver between the two. In the services, and in any management training, you are taught its better for everyone if you make a clear decision - even if it's wrong. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2017 9:55 am
wabdadmin
(@wabdadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

All the UKA archive is here on WABD - under UKArchive (link above).

I've not been in the services, or had any management training, but generally I'm an expert at making wrong decisions 🙂

Regarding downloading your archive; It's a sensible precaution not to rely on ANY website as a reliable store for your writing. You should always store your writing on your own PC/flash drive/cloud/hard copy and ONLY ever paste your writing into the submission box of UKA/WABD/...

Always have a copy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2017 11:51 am
shywolf
(@shywolf)
Trusted Member

I'm with Griff on this one.  I'd rather have just one forum website.  Reactivating UKA's original forum website to run concurrently with WABD's smacks of indecision, and as they say, indecision is worse than making the wrong decision.  Just my tuppence worth.

PS - Why not put it to a vote?  Surely, most of us have had enough time to experience both forum sites to make an informed decision?

Instead of trying to undo the biting of the old apple/I bite a new one instead/And with a toothless grin/Become a Dionysian among Christians.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2017 2:41 am
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

One forum enough for me. The current one seems the best option .

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2017 10:48 am
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member
Can't get my head around this idea. 🙁  It seems utterly redundant let alone confusing, and the old forums are burdened with tons of very old stuff - unless you are thinking that in the future you might abandon WABD and use the old forum format to set up yet another 'new' writing site?  That it might be much cheaper and easier? There are writing sites that have used and still use this particular blueprint...    

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2017 9:29 pm
wabdadmin
(@wabdadmin)
Reputable Member Admin
Indeed Bel.
Posted by: belcanto
Can't get my head around this idea. 🙁  It seems utterly redundant let alone confusing, and the old forums are burdened with tons of very old stuff - unless you are thinking that in the future you might abandon WABD and use the old forum format to set up yet another 'new' writing site?  That it might be much cheaper and easier? There are writing sites that have used and still use this particular blueprint...    
ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2017 10:29 pm
sirat
(@sirat)
Reputable Member

Richard - I know all that about keeping copies and in most if not all cases I do have copies of all my stories back to 2002, but I would like to have the versions on UKA, complete with the comments and discussion. So once again, is it possible to download my own section of the archive as one unit?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2017 10:31 pm
wabdadmin
(@wabdadmin)
Reputable Member Admin
I can provide archived downloads BUT they will be in .csv or .sql or plain text output which just provides a raw, unformatted block of your entire archive. A better way would be to use an online archive solution such as the ones listed in this link:
https://www.labnol.org/internet/archive-web-pages/20192/

Posted by: sirat

Richard - I know all that about keeping copies and in most if not all cases I do have copies of all my stories back to 2002, but I would like to have the versions on UKA, complete with the comments and discussion. So once again, is it possible to download my own section of the archive as one unit?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2017 11:27 pm
shywolf
(@shywolf)
Trusted Member

@David: I found this little gem to be indispensable for backing up all my submissions plus commentary on the old UKA:  https://www.metaproducts.com/mp/inquiry_standard_edition.htm   I simply visit each page and press a button (embedded in my Firefox toolbar), and voilà , each page and all its contents are saved to my machine exactly as they appear in your web browser.  Each download takes about 15 seconds.  Then, using Inquiry's own browser, I can browse all my submission pages at my leisure offline.  It's a bit pricy, but worth it to save all your modified subs and comments intact. 

Instead of trying to undo the biting of the old apple/I bite a new one instead/And with a toothless grin/Become a Dionysian among Christians.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2017 3:20 am
sirat
(@sirat)
Reputable Member

Thanks Shy. I’ll try that and let you know how I get on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2017 10:31 am
kdr
 kdr
(@kdr)

Was a firm decision made on this in the end? I ask because Googling UKA just produces a redirection notice, saying it has become WABD. There's apparently no way back to the UKA forums that I can find, just this place (and innit quiet?)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2017 1:53 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Prominent Member
Posted by: kdr 

There's apparently no way back to the UKA forums that I can find, just this place (and innit quiet?)  

Hi, Karl!

What ya been up to?

Steve

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2017 6:45 pm
richard
(@richard)

UKA forums have been removed.

#HHAP

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2017 6:49 pm
Page 1 / 2