So, what should go ...

So, what should go on the Front Page?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

I believe that the front page layout retrieved from archive is more informative than the current one and personally I prefer it. Could it be cloned? Certain features like 'Featured Author' were popular but reference to UKA Press could be removed as it seems to be a separate undertaking.
See https://web.archive.org/web/20150329024811/https://ukauthors.com/ for comparison.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 13, 2019 6:07 pm
michel liked
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Thanks.

I'll check out the link and see if we can add something similar to UKA.

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 13, 2019 6:19 pm
michel liked
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Noble Member

In my humble opinion, there should be a daily limit for submissions, and to terminate publishing days. We don't need them. On the contrary, we need activity and more submissions. Even by current regulars, we can do it. 

I also believe you must something about the memberships so that no spam or asian font appear again. You need a moderator for this particular thing. It doesn't have to be an editor. 

Work on the other things you already seem to be working on, featured writers works etc. Let's bring activity back to it's normal condition, I'm sure you'll find the editors sooner or later.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2019 12:42 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Noble Member

a short form or a couple of questions, when people request a membership. the way things are, seriousness of intentions is the way to go. if you really want to become a member you have to answer a couple of things. all the big sites have very strict rules on the matter. they block you eventually if you don't give details such as your phone number.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2019 12:48 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Noble Member

An idea of mine that might make things easier for Richard, 

create a blog on wordpress and blogspot, add whatever you want to appear on uka's front page too and member's site profile, what if you had to create a blog that has a uka feeling in it? just imagine and create a blog. (by the way I really think you should create at least two blogs on wordpress and blogger to have the site's name if it has not already been used by other bloggers.)

there is a button on blogger at least, don't know about wordpress haven't checked, you can view source code and copy it, do that for both blogs on wordpress and blogspot 

perhaps many mysterious things can be explained just reading this script /open html source code, perhaps you can see how things can be changed here much faster than before. there may be solutions in these scripts! save some money from the donations you will be receiving that way. I mean for all the things Archie wants and what is really urgent to solve you would need more than 500 I am sure, but what if you can easily make changes on your own and hire someone that can do something for just 500 pounds?

This post was modified 5 days ago by ifyouplease

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2019 3:49 pm
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Eminent Member

"all the big sites have very strict rules on the matter. they block you eventually if you don't give details such as your phone number."

Well, that would rule me out right off. I have enough with unsolicited numpties ringing my number as it is. No one gets my phone number except for the MO, the vet and my sister.

Would all these 'blogs' look different and would they be 'hosted' on the UKA site or some other site. I've never been a 'blogger'. I've got my own website -- built it years ago when I wanted to flog my books and Wyndham's paintings -- mostly it was HTML and some forms for people who wanted to buy stuff. I did use Php on the website I created for Theatr Fach but only because I created some forums which never really took off and they could play games and that sort of thing.

I think it is great that we're going to try and keep going. See if we can drum up the interest.

Do no harm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 15, 2019 5:53 pm
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Eminent Member

Inspiration from the movies; Build it and they will come.

I've always wanted to use that quote.

Do no harm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2019 6:23 pm
michel liked
Alfie_Shoyger
(@alfie_shoyger)
Eminent Member

Meanwhile, while everybody else is getting excited about the future of the site, I'm busy staring through the Wayback machine at poems written in 2004 which I had long assumed had been permanently deleted from the Internet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2019 7:27 am
michel liked
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin
Posted by: Alfie_Shoyger

Meanwhile, while everybody else is getting excited about the future of the site, I'm busy staring through the Wayback machine at poems written in 2004 which I had long assumed had been permanently deleted from the Internet.

And saving them, I hope?

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2019 10:46 am
Alfie_Shoyger
(@alfie_shoyger)
Eminent Member

Yes, well, copying and pasting them into a Word document anyway, which is the best I can manage. I am a total Luddite.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2019 11:49 am
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

You can screenshot them!

Install this app on your browser and you can capture and save any webpage as an image.

https://app.prntscr.com/en/index.html

I use it all the time. It's really quick and easy. Super useful!

UKA webmaster

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2019 12:13 pm
Alfie_Shoyger
(@alfie_shoyger)
Eminent Member

Nice one! Ta very much...

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2019 12:21 pm
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Eminent Member

On a Mac, it's COMMAND + SHIFT + 3, and it's placed on your desktop.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2019 1:37 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: