Observations  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

Transparency is needed. I am awaiting Tevor's response to a query. I shall then post for all to see. I will never be taken for a fool and as things stand I am not feeling comfortable .

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2017 5:39 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

Update. I have written to Trevor.

He wanted me to paste a long extract of his email but I do not want to have anything more to do with this business. 🙁
It's all a storm in a tea cup but I am pretty upset because I had nothing to do with Trevor being banned. Our exchange was pretty benign, certainly nothing worse than any other disagreements in the past between other members.
I went the extra mile for him posting in the forum about his predicament. I felt it was a real shame and wanted to help. I felt offended that his subsequent posts were inferring it was due to me that he got banned.

Just to be sure that is out in the open. Out of respect for everybody and the site as a whole, I shall now bow out of this discussion.
I have no intention of being a scape goat.
As the saying goes "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" 😉

Oh, and for the record, I do feel that the person who banned Trevor should come out and explain it was not my fault he got banned. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2017 9:34 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

there is no reason whatsoever to react to any of the recent 'anomalies' without a smile and forgetfulness.

some people have been involved in extremely difficult situations and misunderstandings over the years, I was one of these people, and after the 'anomalies' I had to face as a site owner too (a site I created thinking that surely a site owner can do more to prevent such anomalies and scandals - needless to say I was very wrong), my only advice to myself and others is to always take a step back and do not interact with any anomaly until further notice from either the site owner (who has the capacity to double check everything related and investigate properly any situation on his/her site) or a normalized behaviour.

perhaps the lack of huge scandals forces a community to overreact to simple things. it seems that something must always be discussed as a hot topic and an exaggerated rivalry (usually a rivalry of opinions). it's human nature. 

but we are here to write whenever we can and try to give feedback as politely as possible. that's all. keep up the good work at least during any period of anomalies/rivalry/scandal/duel/misunderstanding and try not to blame the site, even if a site owner had wrong judgement, he is human. she is human. like you, like the rival, like all.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2017 11:24 am
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

You are probably quite wise Nic. In fact you are right to plead "not ordinary" 😉

xxx

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2017 1:23 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member
Posted by: stormwolf

Update. I have written to Trevor.

He wanted me to paste a long extract of his email but I do not want to have anything more to do with this business. 🙁
It's all a storm in a tea cup but I am pretty upset because I had nothing to do with Trevor being banned. Our exchange was pretty benign, certainly nothing worse than any other disagreements in the past between other members.
I went the extra mile for him posting in the forum about his predicament. I felt it was a real shame and wanted to help. I felt offended that his subsequent posts were inferring it was due to me that he got banned.

To be honest, I never took if from Trevors' comments that you had anything to do with him being barred. You're not admin, so you're not able to do that. It's that simple.

The problem is that two valuable members have now been lost from this site and that's terribly sad, especially at a time when so few are posting and commenting.

Please be clear that I am not blaming you for that. You and Trevor had a disagreement and, if the posts I saw were all that was posted, I was very surprised that he was barred. I've seen a lot worse in the years I've been coming to UKA.

Still, there's no going back on what's happened but it's such a shame. 

Just to be sure that is out in the open. Out of respect for everybody and the site as a whole, I shall now bow out of this discussion.
I have no intention of being a scape goat.
As the saying goes "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" 😉

Oh, and for the record, I do feel that the person who banned Trevor should come out and explain it was not my fault he got banned. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2017 10:53 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

Dear Alison,you know, I have not understood what seems to be the problem?

I know there is some sort of negativity and disappointment in the air and unfortunately the timing is bad for any negativity or disappointment for such ephemeral things. 

now I will save my other reply because I may need it later, it is long, very long and hopefully I won't have to post it

a) because of rusty English

b) it would not be clearly understood perhaps.

it starts like this "if I were wise enough, I would not find it scary that some shitty vibes of unknown origin seem to be destroying slowly but surely the spirit of UKA. I really thought that there would be enough members to never allow such a thing to happen,.."

xxx

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2017 2:03 am
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Trusted Member

Test! This is not Trevor... this is Richard testing Trevor's forum access! I'll delete it soon.

Test test test!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2017 9:10 pm
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Trusted Member

Testing forum access for Richard

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2017 10:43 pm
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member

I have refrained from taking part in this 'discussion' until now, I felt I would simply add little of interest; commonsense seemed to be an unnecessary hindrance. The continuing ranting and throwing of toys out of prams would appear to be preferred to the writing and posting of poetry and prose on the main site.  There was a time when this was not so. 

It's time all involved got over themselves and returned the site to its former glory, all of you are the writers that helped to make this site what it was, you could do so again.  When I came here I too had a spat with a senior member, I was told to ignore him and write; I did and prospered.  All of us will be losers if we frighten off new blood, and who would want to join a site where all are at war.  This is not Forward Poetry, this is UKAUTHORS.  Please cease all this shit and get back to being what you are, the best writers with the best writing site on line. 

I am trying to return, if there is anything to return too. In the end it's down to all of us to put the effort in. If you simply can't get on with someone...block them, take it all of to PM's.   Don't clog the site and forums up with a load of rubish.

Mike

"Fuck them if they can't take a joke"

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2017 11:21 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Noble Member

Well-said, Mike - the voice of reason. 

Enough of this ruination.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2017 12:11 am
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member
Posted by: mikeverdi

I am trying to return, if there is anything to return too. In the end it's down to all of us to put the effort in. If you simply can't get on with someone...block them, take it all of to PM's.   Don't clog the site and forums up with a load of rubish.

Mike

Honestly, if I have a problem with someone, I would do as Mike suggests. It's the equivalent of shouting an argument in the street instead of having a conversation with just one person. However, it's now not possible to pm someone until you've completed a certain number of posts on the site and, although I can see Richard has been working hard on rectifying it, a lot of the links, including the email for the site admin, were wrong until recently. That limits new members quite a bit and Gothicman was also limited by the fact that, due to a problem with Wordpress, he couldn't use those methods or the forum.

Would it be possible please to look into those problems and I also wonder if we could implement some kind of support for new people by giving them a list of members emails to contact when they first come here? Not their real ones, as spam would be a problem, but perhaps a site email, if they can't pm? I know we have the Introduction forum but it seems to take ages for members to respond, possibly because new member posts are subject to moderation before they can be seen. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2017 8:16 am
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Thanks Mike - sanity strikes again!

Gee, No new posts subject to moderation before they can be seen, far as I know!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2017 8:49 pm
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Trusted Member

In view of all that's been said on this thread (excluding Gee), which I find to be so inconsiderate, so lacking in empathy, when, for no reasonable justification, I lost half my membership record, and had two years of main site contributions all buggered up, I've decided not to continue as Gothicman, the designated new member as of 22nd September 2017.

We all know who was responsible for the only insane act that caused this mess up, which deleted all record of the most active member on site (even that record has disappeared), and even if done without justification, and though to extent and damage, done inadvertently, no apology from that person has been forthcoming, which shows the measure of the man, and that he hasn't learnt a bloody thing from it.

I request all trace of  the messed up me, Gothicman, be removed from the site, as this Gothicman will be no more. I may register some time in the future as a completely new member.
I thank Andrea, but, particularly Richard for all their hard work in trying to salvage something worthwhile from a really hopeless situation, and at least giving me the chance to copy work I had no copies of earlier. I still think directly doing a rollback a couple of days after the damage was known, was the answer. We've suffered two rollbacks before, one from hacking, and one from Richard's modification balls up, and I lost subs and comments with both, no big deal.

I thank also, Alison and Luigi for, at my request, raising questions about my disappearance when I had no site contact, or private emails to any of UK members. I contacted Alison at her own "spiritual" site, and Luigi at ABCTales;
and, of course, Gee and Bel, who brought a bit of common sense and altruistic sanity to the proceedings, both have human qualities that appear to be very rare these days unfortunately!

Again, wishing you all well in your writings and your lives,
Adieux mes amis, and others!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2017 7:52 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Well, I for one am gutted to see you go, Trevor. I am so sorry we couldn't resolve this. I wish you only the best for your future writing career. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2017 8:52 pm
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Trusted Member

Thanks Andrea, it is sad and came unexpectedly, but the damage is too great and I've lost all continuity and context, so you can understand I've lost my enthusiasm to continue. At my age, and with my quite different background, I'm not on any career path as a writer though! Hahaha!
In cyberspace, I've met many interesting and talented people, from my years at the old wonderful site BBC Poet's Corner and the original enormously popular and busy UKAuthors from January 2003, when many of those old acquaintances came across to here with me.
I might come back, totally new and anonymous, who knows, but, after suffering a slipped disc recently, now thankfully fully recovered, even this old man is feeling his age, and must take life easier.

Thanks to all I've had such rewarding interactions with, our paths may cross again one day.
Best Regards,
Trevor

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2017 10:11 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: