Nominations: No Cho...

Nominations: No Choice On Inclusion Or Not  

RSS
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

On the old UKA, you could opt out of your work being nominated for the Anthology. I guess most would think me strange, but I never wanted my work published, so opt out is the choice I always made. No-one could ever nominate my stuff.

On this site, however I can't find any way to do that. Am I missing something?  Not understanding the steps I must take to assure the outcome I want?  

Posted : September 14, 2017 8:33 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

In previous years the editor would ask all authors permission to include their work in the anthology and if no permission was given it would be omitted.

Five days ago I asked the following question that as yet has not received an answer:
I notice that the proposed 2017/18 anthogy has been assigned numbered pages. Don't you need authors' permission prior to including their work?

Assuming that no such step was envisaged I have taken the decision to delete my piece from the main site.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2017 9:54 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I do not understand what you mean dear Luigi, in my case they have my permission to publish any poem or story I publish on the main site and has been nominated even as a footnote! 

the only thing I would like to know once and for all is : I can include any poem Ukapress has included already in one of its anthologies, in any book of my choice (self publish or not) anytime in the future. Right?

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2017 10:00 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

Dear Nic, you may be happy to give carte blanche for your work to be published but there are others who are unwilling to do so and wish to opt out as you can see from Belcanto's post.

As for your other question, the authors of the work published in the UKApress anthologies retain the copyright and are therefore free to use it as they see fit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2017 10:26 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

that's why I said "in my case" but there are many poets and writers who really just want a decent publication of their work since a) they don't belong to any powerful literary clique b) they don't have enough money to self-publish and c) they are not tied by possible future edits and have no qualms about possible corrections they might see their work needed in the near or distant future.

but we are talking about UKAPress here we are all members for many many years and we not only can trust its validity and capacity to bring forth an  anthology but also we are supposed to help it survive so that one day new writers and perhaps younger can find it and have a chance too. 

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2017 11:57 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

Yes, dear Nic, I hear what you say but you don't seem to hear what I say.
There are poets and writers who do not wish to be published. I refer you to Belcanto's comment. Quote:  "I guess most would think me strange, but I never wanted my work published, so opt out is the choice I always made."

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2017 1:54 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I know that already that there was an option in the past and/but generally why should I have to think for more than 10 generous minutes what another person wants for his/her life/work or whatever.. the same way I don't want anyone to ponder too much over my choices and he or she may even completely either forget what I said just for the record, or intentionally (or unintentionally) never learn what I think about any issues whether the issues affect them too or not!

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2017 2:05 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member
Posted by: ionicus

In previous years the editor would ask all authors permission to include their work in the anthology and if no permission was given it would be omitted.

Five days ago I asked the following question that as yet has not received an answer:
I notice that the proposed 2017/18 anthology has been assigned numbered pages. Don't you need authors' permission prior to including their work?

Assuming that no such step was envisaged I have taken the decision to delete my piece from the main site.

These practices - or rather omissions - concern me, too. A writing site should be scrupulous in its adherence to copyright and publishing laws.  And where is the guidance in these matters?  One of my biggest complaints is that there isn't one link on the front page to any guidance of any sort, anymore.  Not that I can find, anyway. And no continuing updates on what's happening with the  development of the site to keep us in the loop. 

This is why I've been keeping my distance for quite some time. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 16, 2017 4:37 am
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member
Posted by: ifyouplease

I know that already that there was an option in the past and/but generally why should I have to think for more than 10 generous minutes what another person wants for his/her life/work or whatever.. the same way I don't want anyone to ponder too much over my choices and he or she may even completely either forget what I said just for the record, or intentionally (or unintentionally) never learn what I think about any issues whether the issues affect them too or not!

I didn't open this topic looking for sympathy or to  stir up controversy, iyp.  I wasn't taking a position that others should care about MY choices!  I'm merely asking the powers that be -in this case the webmaster - how to do something I did for years on the old site. Since I was an exception to the rule, the webmaster or Andrea, may well have just  changed something on my account to allow me the choice I wanted to make; I can't recall. But I would like an answer as to how I can make this choice here. 

Meanwhile your concerns about self publication and whether you can safely and freely re-publish poems which found their way into earlier anthologies are quite legitimate and I think you deserve an answer too.  Perhaps you could put the question to Richard or Andrea onto another thread?  PS. I'll get to crit on your challenge poem at some point tomorrow. It's quite late here, and you know how slow I am at thinking things through in order to respond!   

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 16, 2017 5:21 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

I was merely asking Luigi to clarify something, I understood and already know since you have not so far allowed any sort of publication at least here, that you do not agree with some things or prefer something else, but it is none of my business to think for more than ten minutes why you or anyone else in the world chooses this or that. 

What Luigi said was what interested me because it was something new and a question not a choice - he was not discussing about you and I just for the record talked a bit about my way of seeing things and my choice to permit UKAPress to include my work in its anthology.

I see no problem in how the three of us talked- we are free people saying what they think and feel just for the record. (I have also cancelled the publication of A Doting Poetess the poetry collection back in 2004 so I know how it feels and what it means, cancelling and withdrawing etc. But did it privately and in my opinion there is no reason in something as collective as an anthology something based on a community for any sort of announcements unless our legal rights are compromised and so far nobody did such a thing.)

Mind you, I think that UKAPress Andrea and editors and us other members that had been included again in the past were glad that you so far for this publication the 2017-18 one hadn't used your right not to be included but seemed you were in favour this time of your right to be. Poetry like yours is too valuable and the anthology would have been better with Belcanto in it.

I was pleasantly surprised and thought that you at last would be in the anthology but unfortunately again you don't want to for valid and understandable reasons. It's your right to be included or not. Just as it is for any member nominated. 

But I must say, this is a very difficult period for UKAuthors and the Anthology and we should all be extremely cautious how we publicly talk about our choices. 

You were very cautious, Belcanto and that's why I decided to reply to this thread and ask Luigi for more clarifications. Others were not and I didn't say a word, I avoided the thread about the anthology because it was too detrimental for the future of not only the site and the community but also the Anthology.

And this is my last reply, I hope you will achieve the implementation of a new button that blocks future nominations like old Uka. 

Thanks.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 16, 2017 10:29 am
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

ifyouplease said:

Mind you, I think that UKAPress Andrea and editors and us other members that had been included again in the past were glad that you so far for this publication the 2017-18 one hadn't used your right not to be included but seemed you were in favour this time of your right to be. Poetry like yours is too valuable and the anthology would have been better with Belcanto in it.

I was pleasantly surprised and thought that you at last would be in the anthology but unfortunately again you don't want to for valid and understandable reasons. It's your right to be included or not. Just as it is for any member nominated.

Okay, I'm feeling all kinds of selfish now and have since regretted asking for my work to be removed from the anthology list, especially since scarce votes were used up on my poems.  I've begged to be let back in.  Must say, both boss and editor are responding in a very cordial and accommodating manner, and I thank them.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2017 9:05 pm
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Trusted Member

Oh Shelagh, Surely no need to beg. I was initially disappointed when you withdrew, but so pleased when you changed your mind. You deserve to be included and grace the anth with your presence, as a highly respected writer of poetry on the site. I've told you not to be bashful! 🙂

JohnG 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2017 9:47 pm
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Trusted Member

Because of the amount of work (on my part) asking every author personally to agree and the considerable delays involved, the uncertainty of the composing the book , it was realised this time that publication of a piece on UKA is just that. Authors were therefore asked to opt out rather than opt in. I understand apart from the forum note, Andrea included it in the newsletter and on the fp. Also on my thread BIOS I invited anyone who wanted to opt out to say so.

But I do understand why some people might have missed that, so the contents list is always a backstop.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2017 10:08 pm
mikeverdi liked
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Griff  'begged to be let back in' was meant as a tongue in cheek expression. I guess few understand my dry sense of humor. And 'bashful' hardly describes my attitude toward publication of anything I've attempted to put into poetic form.

I give you great credit for your dedication and skill as an editor for the anthology, griff, but really question your authority and explanation of why permission to publish was not sought from each person individually.  Your telling of matters seems after-the-fact and weak to me. 

If those who chose to opt -out because they were protective of their copyright were many, UKA wouldn't have much of an anthology to put together.  And telling us, at this point, these clauses are hidden away in small-print somewhere we'd never think to look (a thread headlined BIOS?  I signed up for the newsletter, but never receive one, and the last time I checked from the front page link there hadn't been any in ages) smacks of disregard for publishing law. 

In any case, I doubt you can follow through on including my poems in the anthology now for I've just removed all my work from the site.  I'm out.  Sorry for all the stop and start inconvenience.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2017 5:59 pm
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Trusted Member

The decision on opt out was taken with Andrea. I am a faithful servant. Do you think I could do anything without her approval, or her orders? 

I'm always amused by people who think I have 'power'. 🙂 but don't mind you asking. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2017 8:38 pm
Share: