Mike has left us.  

RSS
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

It is with profound sorrow I have to tell you all that Mike passed away peacefully this morning. I received a text to let me know from his family.

He phoned me up last week to say goodbye as he knew time was running out. What can I say?

He was much loved here I know. His willingness to encourage others was only matched with his willingness to accept any critique and his big heart was in keeping with his physical presence when we met up in London a few years ago at the UKA get together.

His bear hug had healing in it and he was a genuinely humble, talented man but incredibly brave, to the very last.

I loved him for all that he was. His leaving leaves  a big hole but I am glad his suffering is finally over.
My sincere condolences to Leslie and all his loved ones.

A light has gone out but knowing Mike he's laughing somewhere and saying

"fuck 'em, if they cannot take a joke!"

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2018 7:06 pm
valdohren
(@valdohren)

So very sorry Alison to learn of Mike's passing.  What can I say.  He  was always so kind to me.  A lovely man who will be sorely missed.  My heartfelt condolences to Lesley, family and friends.  

ValDohren.  

Edited: 2 weeks  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2018 9:33 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Honorable Member

What rotten bloody news. I was only thinking about him yesterday. I respected him greatly as a writer because whatever he wrote, it was straight, with no pretension whatsoever. Sometimes it was raw, and all the better for it. He welcomed criticism and was conversely humble when complimented. I met him at the Bristol venue a couple of years back and he was as interesting in person as on the screen. I think my favourite writing of his was his autobiography; it really was something to look forward to on publishing days.  I liked the Mike Green I read about - the sort of guy who might punch you in the face but never stab you in the back.

Condolences to Mike's family. He was certainly someone to be proud of.

Steve

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2018 9:51 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin

Am totally gutted. He called me a week ago to say goodbye.  Lesley, call me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2018 10:02 pm
Gothicman
(@gothicman)

Very saddened by the news of Mike's passing, Alison. A wonderfully honest and positive character, whose life philosophy and attitude to others , both in his own work and when commenting on the work of others was always inspiring, entertaining, or encouraging. While only interacting with him through the many valued exchanges of words on this site, his loss leaves me quite numb, as if I've lost a genuine friend and fellow traveller. My condolences to Lesley and his family.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2018 8:56 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Honorable Member

So very sad to hear that he has left us. We have known of his precarious situation for a while now and the news are not entirely unexpected.
He'll be remembered by all of us who knew him mainly through his writing but mostly for his generosity to his fellow writers. 
He was kind enough to contribute to my website where his photo is permanently on display - https://gigipagano.wixsite.com/mysite/guests-gallery - Thank you and farewell Mike

My condolences to his family.

Luigi 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2018 9:32 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

My condolences to his family, he was a remarkable man. Very sad news.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2018 10:30 am
pommer
(@pommer)

I am so very sorry to hear about Mike's departure.I have never met him, but I enjoyed his writing, his sense of humour and the helpful comments he made on my writings.My thoughts are with Leslie in her hours of grief.Contact me anytime you feel you need a shoulder to cry on.I am only glad that Mike's long suffering is over.I am sure that by now he will have met up with Dave Boswell.The two of them will no doubt put the world to rights now.Sleep well Mike, and as you would say: FUCK THEM ALL mate. I shall always remember you.Be lucky, Peter( the  old geezer)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2018 11:34 am
jay12
(@jay12)
Eminent Member

That is very sad news. My condolences to all of his family and to his many friends, especially all of you guys here who knew him. You are all in my thoughts. I enjoyed his writing; and his good humour and positive outlook, facing his health battles, was admirable. He will be missed. 

RIP Mike. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2018 3:12 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

So sorry to hear this news. Mike was talented, generous and very kind and will be missed. My condolences to his family.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2018 5:22 pm
sweetwater
(@sweetwater)

So sad to hear the news of Mike he messaged me only a few weeks ago, I'm so glad I had the opportunity to reply and thank him for all the help and encouragement he has given me. In fact I have just been trying to send him a message and wondered why I couldn't, then I realised we must have lost him.

Like a great many others on here I shall miss him terribly, and will never forget his huge influence on my life. Heartbreaking for his family they have shared his journey with him, but now must find the courage to go on alone, but I'm sure he will be watching over them and giving them his encouragement as he did us.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2018 6:37 pm
Share: