Lost Work  

RSS
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Something strange happened, I assume during the hack: I lost several - perhaps a dozen or more - poems in draft form waiting for publication and all ready to go complete with pics and links etc...   🙁 🙁

Found this very peculiar since all the published stuff is still here, even though there are fewer of those! I'd put a lot of work into getting those pieces lined up for whenever (unless I've made a decent effort at reading and commenting on the work of others, I hold back on asking for feed-back on any of my own pieces). 

Did anyone else lose anything they had on hold?  

Posted : December 20, 2016 6:24 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

As I understand it, in order to restore the system the database had to be rolled back to a date prior to the hacking. ????
Anything that was in the pipeline, i.e. work scheduled for publication or in draft form, comments and views that were made after the restore point, were lost because they had been compromised.
Some of my last published pieces were affected insofar as comments and number of views disappeared. Luckily, I didn't have work-in-progress in the queue. I'm afraid you have to resubmit your poems, unless Richard can perform another miracle to retrieve them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2016 9:23 am
wabdadmin
(@wabdadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Well, the hack occurred sometime during the evening of 16th and early hours of 17th Dec. When I got home on the evening of the 17th I restored the website to the last restore point which was 16th Dec - that restore point might have been at 1am on 16th Dec. So we have a window of about 18 hours 1am 16th to the evening of 16th where you could have submitted & edited writing which would not have been saved in the restore point. 

Did you submit those dozen poems during that time Bel?

Restore points are scheduled for each 24 hour period so unfortunately, things that are added to the site between restore points will be lost. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2016 12:06 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Just checked my gallery to be sure all stored pics had disappeared too - and they have, along with what was in the queue, as Luigi puts it.   Well, really, none of these were in the queue since I've been stashing things in draft form for over three months or so,  though nothing so late as even three weeks ago except for the poetry challenge poems which were immediately set for publishing anyway.  I'm probably the only person who would do this!  Another lesson learned, huh? 

It seems only actual published stuff gets saved and can be restored in a situation like this, so will have to resubmit one at a time, in future. The hard parts are the pics and links which I found online and downloaded to the gallery  or directly onto the draft. 

Thanks for your responses, guys.  Appreciate.  🙂 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2016 10:51 pm
wabdadmin
(@wabdadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Hmmmm, odd that! You are correct, Bel, all drafts have gone but I'm not sure that the hacking was responsible. Once i fixed the site, I also did a few things with the database which included a cleanup. Not sure that I might have wiped out the drafts when I press the 'clean database' button. Drafts are stored in the same way as any other submitted content and that goes for images/audio file too. I'll have to investigate further.

Just remember to have a copy of all your work on your own PC or in 'the cloud'. Don't use WABD to store your only version. There will be tears!

EDIT:

Yes, just checked and the reason for you losing your drafts is my stupidity! Damn! Sorry!

I could probably do another rollback to, say, 15th December and they would be back, but that would mean losing everything that has been added between the 16th's rollback and now. So I won't be doing that!

Just a lesson learned (for me) to check before I do another database cleanup.

Sorry 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2016 12:08 am
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Reputable Member

Ah Ha!   True repentance is a post to the next Prose challenge, or else! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2016 6:56 pm
Share: