How and when to com...

How and when to comment  

RSS
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

Okay, sticking my neck out here and hoping I'm not the only one who has this happen.
There are times when I read something on the site and I either have a very vague idea what it's about or no idea at all. I would like to comment and ask, but it seems a bit insulting to say that you don't understand it at all. What's the best thing to do in those circumstances - ask or  just decide it's not for me and move on? What would the people who post their work on here prefer?

Posted : April 13, 2018 8:59 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

normally we should expect anything from anyone. genuine and fake.

I plead not ordinary

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 13, 2018 3:56 pm
chrissytotoro
(@chrissytotoro)
Eminent Member

Oh gee, I do feel your pain. Countless times I've read stuff and come away thinking 'What was that all about?' and I do appreciate your dilemma. For what its worth, I usually try to find something else the person has posted and read that. If I don't understand any of it and it doesn't help me understand the original piece, I generally tend to think, as you do, that discretion is the better part of valour and shuffle off to someone else. Whether that helps the writer or not in the long run, I don't know but it keeps me out of trouble.

I suppose, if the piece really grabs you for some reason, you could ask, like Alfie said, if it really interests you and you want to know. Who knows, we might learn something, have a light bulb moment. At least the writer would have some feedback and I sincerely believe that is important.

Chrissy

Do no harm. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 16, 2018 9:40 am
Nemo
 Nemo
(@nemo)

If we post to find out if our poems "work",  we want to be told if they don't, don't we?  That's why we say yes to critique. People should not be afraid to say if they don't understand and ask for an explanation, which could be asked for and supplied privately, couldn't it?

L

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2018 4:13 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the comments and it's interesting to see the opinions. If I have an idea, even just the slightest, I would say something but there are other times I'm completely lost, although intrigued.

I wonder though, would people find it better to pm the writer and ask, rather than have it in discussion under their work? I wouldn't mind but, especially with someone nervous about submitting their work, it might be a better idea?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2018 1:18 pm
Nemo
 Nemo
(@nemo)

PMs are good.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2018 6:02 pm
Share: