Dearth of comments

Notifications

Dearth of comments  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

Well you're not exactly making people warm towards buying it, if you don't mind me saying so. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2017 6:30 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

Well I think that sometimes a boil needs lancing.

Nothing will change if people refuse to confront reality in order to not cause waves. 

Maybe the site needs a new more progressive mission statement?

It may lose some but encourage others? Sometimes we need to step out of our comfort zone.

I think it all depends on what we want the site to be. I know there will always be those who don't want change but all life is change and growth only occurs when challenged like the formation of a pearl by the grain of sand in the oyster.

I also know those who outgrew the site as I outgrew the last site I was in before coming here. Back then it really was a very vibrant challenging site and I was always apprehensive before posting the standard was so high .

It made me be as good as I could be and look back on early poems and cringe.

Perhaps  we have bent over backwards to accommodate people to be polite instead of challenging them to improve?

i know that many feel comfortable and I hate the thought of upsetting those older people who post as a hobby and could not take really incisive crit.

Perhaps  we need to introduce another level of crit for those seriously interested in improving? Then there would be a place for everyone and those apprehensive about laying their work bare would take courage from reading others improving?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2017 8:19 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

Perhaps as I suggested, I new level of options for crit? Advanced critique welcomed ?

Perhaps different coloured fonts? So people could see at a glance those who want to stand out and subject themselves to deeper crit? It might be difficult at first but maybe those more reticent could see the benefit of it when they read those who put themselves forward? No pressure to anyone.

At present the option critique and comments welcomed is not entirely being utilised, for several do not actually want that. If people do not want to change the basics like wrong spelling and suchlike, as I say, they bring the standard down. That is a basic fact like it or lump it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2017 9:12 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Noble Member

I can see that my presence here is troubling Archie. He seems to think that only he can speak his mind. Well so can I: I don't understand why he believes that demanding thoroughness from authors to make sure that their work is of a decent and acceptable standard is a laughable proposition.Does he want people to submit sloppy work?
He also adds: "if that attitude pervades the majority of people on the site, then it will go the same way as the Roman Empire. Glug glug glug." Is this a dig at the fact that I am Italian and likely to sink like that empire?
All empires end like that as the British well know.
He may think of me as hilarious as much as I think of him as a pretentious prick.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2017 11:23 pm
Shackleton
(@shackleton)
Eminent Member

Sling foul remarks to each other in private messages if you need to. Not on an open forum. Thank you and goodnight... or good morning as the case may be.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2017 6:54 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Noble Member

Mick, I do apologise for having exposed you and other members to my private squabble and agree that anything of personal nature should be discussed in private.
Having said that, some offensive remarks were made by an indivual who was trying to ridicule me for a statement I made with which he disagreed.
He has persisted and added more insults in an open Forum and I believe that my reply should also be public. It may well have been the wrong decision but I did what I thought was right.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2017 9:29 am
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

I think there's no need to become personally insulting,

It's  hurtful to read and negates any argument. Call me old fashioned but I think elders should be respected no matter how you disagree on points of view .  ????

Just terribly upsetting to see things degenerate to that degree????????????

Hi Bel

yes I see you suggested a different level of crit before me. Thanks for the link ????I think that's the way to go. You always offered great advice  and read poems very insightfully.

So did slovit and Shy . I sometimes felt the amendments  they suggested were due to the male perspective at times ( short and to the point) but also discussing such things can be educational not just for the poet but for the reader. 

If we have a small group who are willing to have their work dissected at least it will offer another level to the site and those who don't want to take part can just carry on as before? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2017 9:52 am
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

Well thanks very much, Archie. I stuck up for you and commented on your loss when you last left the site. I have encouraged you, read you widely and nominated you and this is what you think is acceptable? Really???

Maybe time to take your incredible talent elsewhere.

As for me? I am sick to the back teeth. I don't need the hassle.  I have more important things to attend to in the real world.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2017 12:16 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member

Hi Bel,

Sadly I am all out of enthusiasm for the time being. I feel a break is in order for me. I have been struggling at times to keep in the loop or post and after the recent skirmish which has really offended me, I think I would rather bow out for a while. I simply cannot deal with spite and unpleasantness when only trying to do my best.
You have great ideas and I am sure you can implement them.   Good luck! 😉

Alison x

n

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2017 8:16 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

Facebook killed the internet we used to know. We should all direct any insults to that site and its owners alone. We would stand a chance without it. Now we need at least ten thousand cunning Greeks to work slyly (famous slovitt line) on the problem (where is he? anyway)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2017 8:28 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Famed Member

not sure direct is correct...... hmm I mean hurl/unleash  (is it by any chance correct to use direct vb??)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2017 8:32 pm
sweetwater
(@sweetwater)

I have an online friend I met on another closed poetry site, she has been posting on there for years and is very good. I suggested this group as we have so few members that submit or comment now, I told her how much everyone had helped me and supported my work and hoped she would look in, she did, her first poem was received very well but her second, although very good and had also received appreciative comments one member didn't agree with what she was saying, fair enough, but was so rude and derogatory I was shocked and felt very uncomfortable for her. She hasn't posted since so I asked her about it, she said it hadn't bothered her, but she will not be back. I know it's not that someone didn't like her poem but the fact the comment was so nasty. There is no harm in having a different view of what is written but good manners and politeness should prevail in any comment, especially newcomers who do not know the 'quirks' of others. I have always been proud of this site and promote where I can, but on this occasion I was thoroughly ashamed and embarrassed that I had encouraged her to join us. Sue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2017 2:38 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Noble Member

If it is Stella you are talking about, Sue, she doesn't seem to be bothered as she is still here and has one poem lined up for Friday's posting. I don't see why you should be ashamed and embarrassed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2017 2:58 pm
sweetwater
(@sweetwater)

I know, how awkward is that. When I asked her about being offended she said most definitely she would stick to the other site, perhaps she had a rethink and decided to try again. 

I felt embarrassed because I have always said how great this site is and how helpful and kind the critique has always been, if it wasn't for the the critical comments I have had over the years I would not have come as far or improved as much in writing and confidence as I feel I have done mostly through the help of Mike, Stormwolf and others. As Stormwolf said earlier about her own writing I too look back at my old poems and cringe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2017 7:34 pm
mikeverdi
(@mikeverdi)
Eminent Member

I'm sorry not to be as active in this area as I was, I will keep trying. Some people I've commented on in the past have reacted badly to critique, no matter how well ment. Others have prospered as I did.  If I find my help is thrown back at me, I never comment again.  I hope that others will keep things going until I return.

Mike 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2017 6:10 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: