Dearth of comments

Dearth of comments  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

There's a serious lack of interaction and vibrancy on comments. It's downright depressing and will never attract more to join.:-(

I don't know what the answer is but if we take into consideration that one comment plus one reply comes up as two comments (not a good idea) it shows just how lacking in comments the site really is.

If I am not around, it's because I am not able, for various reasons but when I am, I do try to read and offer encouragement but there a few who never contribute in any way and those who seem to think replying to a comment left is something to be done in the course of time..... if they can summon up the energy.

Those who choose not to reply but find the energy to post further, gets my goat, I have to be frank.
An air of stale apathy pervades. Sorry but that's what comes across to me.

I am fortunate in that I get read, probably due to being on Twitter but my latest poem about my grandchild is so innocuous but obviously meaningful and precious to me, that having been read 127 times and not one comment is both hurtful and off-putting and so I will delete it, as I hate to see a dedication sitting there ignored.

I have always felt it very sad if anybody's poems were never commented on (apart from those who never offer the courtesy of commenting on others) In my mind, if they do not get commented on, they have only themselves to blame.

I am not talking about cloying, syrupy praise but surely to God people can do better than this?

Over and out.

Posted : 19/02/2017 2:33 pm
Shackleton
(@shackleton)
Eminent Member

It is what it is, Alison. A site like this needs a dozen folks who like to interact in the way you suggest. Unfortunately, there only appears to be 3 or 4 on this site at this moment in time. It'll hopefully improve one day. Life unfolds. Don't despair, our kid. Better must come.

I've looked up and looked down. I've even done the okey-cokey and turned around, but I still can't find where my lost youth has gone. Has anyone seen it? There's unfinished business.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2017 9:36 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

There are other considerations to be taken into account. I am retired and can afford to spare some time to reading and commenting whereas other members might still be working and having a busy life which only allows them a limited period in which to explore what is happening on the site.
There is also the readers' attitude in the way they respond; I examine all contribution and make my own judgement of their quality, content and presentation. I don't feel inclined to offer an opinion on entries that are in my view obviously puerile. I prefer to remain silent rather than be an hypocrite by offering sugary comments.
There are people who feel they have to offer their advice so that that the writer can improve; I am not one of them: it is up to the authors to make sure that their work is of a decent and acceptable standard.
On the other hand if the submission is good, the appreciation can also be limited: what can one say but 'Excellent', 'Well done' or 'I like it'?
There are other factors that could be discussed and I'm sure they'll be forthcoming so I better conclude my viewpoint.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2017 11:17 am
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

Yes, I do understand that there are times when there are more people about. Also, that we have lost a few of our dear members like Mike and Bozz (at present) who contributed hugely  🙁 Others who have struggles with nearest and dearest but all the more reason those left should hold up the rear. I know some of us do...

I also know that some members do their best to attract new members and new blood is always good. I just feel that apathy breeds apathy and robs even those of us who were enthusiastic and well motivated to feel like throwing in the towel.
I know the site is dear to many of us. It is, in fact, very dear indeed to many of us, even those not presently posting. 🙁
I feel ideally that every piece posted should be read by somebody. There can always be something to be said. We don't have to like it but maybe the layout is good or it stimulated a feeling etc. I hate to see work left uncommented on and hate when it happens to me too. Even a comment saying it did not appeal and why is valuable feedback.

I was particulaly sensitive because I am very devoted to my grandkids and have not seen them in almost a year. I once posted a poem for my mum and it was left neglected and it hurts me. Maybe that seems daft to some of you but it's just the way I am . It's as though they are not worth commenting on. That is being supersensitive I know. I am simply being honest. 🙁
But if people post and get no comments, they will soon give up. Then the site becomes stagnant
Looking back over the years there have been peaks and troughs. It's only natural that people will come and go due to life events but I would hate some of our previous regulars to come back and think it's all gone downhill. 🙁

Anyway, just to explain.

Alison x

r

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2017 11:19 am
archiemac
(@archiemac)

I don't often comment on other people's work anymore, because various people on this site have informed me that showing zero interest in anybody else is entirely acceptable behaviour. That there's nothing wrong whatsoever with simply posting and soaking up praise, without giving anything back. That seems to be the norm nowadays. So, if you can't beat 'em...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2017 12:01 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

Oh I know exactly what and who you mean Archie. It aggravated the hell outta me too, as we can be as accepting and non challenging as we like but pure 'takers' show disrespect to others and more fool those who encourage them imho 

However I appeal to you to reconsider as you have so much to offer in the way of crit. Seems a shame to deny the rest of us due to the selfish, self centred, egotistical actions of  a tiny few.

Reminds me of the wise saying 

"an eye for an eye and half the world would be blind"

I tend to feel the same impulse if my comments are left unanswered. I mean, why should I go to the bother and time reading,  if  that person cannot be arsed to have the manners to respond? 

It's  give and take in this world.

Alison x 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2017 12:38 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

It's good to let off steam and give everyone a chance to voice their opinions though, ain't it? This thread has been read by 44 people so far and only 4 of us engaging...which means that others are reading and seeing what people think.

Communication is also a vital thing in a community to keep it vibrant.  😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2017 12:57 pm
archiemac
(@archiemac)

When the new site first started, I was very enthusiastic about it and spent a lot of time reading and commenting, really going deep and getting into some pieces. But after a while I could see that people weren't showing a great deal of interest in my work. So now, sorry, but I can't really be arsed anymore.

This quote from Luigi is hilarious:

"There are people who feel they have to offer their advice so that that the writer can improve; I am not one of them: it is up to the authors to make sure that their work is of a decent and acceptable standard."

lol lol lol, and ROFLMAO.

If people don't want to analyse each other's work and try to help each other to improve, is there really any point to this website at all? In that case, there's no point having a comments section. We all might as well just tick a box to say "I have read this poem". Maybe stretch to a smiley, but nothing more.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2017 1:56 pm
wabdadmin
(@wabdadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

We (me and Andrea) need to drum up a bit of interest. Since the new site began, we (I) have let things stagnate a bit and Andrea is finding this new website backend a bit hard to master, so she's not keen/able to keep adding articles/info/news etc. Nor send out newsletters to keep us (UKA/WABD) current and at the front of people's minds.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2017 2:22 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Prominent Member

Archie, I can see that you are easily amused. Quote: "lol lol lol, and ROFLMAO." I was expecting something better from someone who until this time I believed to be an intelligent person. I cannot see what is laughable about my statement. I thought that this was a website to which people submitted work they deemed might interest others but it looks as if I mistaken: this is in fact a writing school! 
Have I joined an academy where I am told what and how to write?
So, Archie: you can't be arsed; am I bothered? As you are so fond of acronysms: NOYN.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2017 2:30 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

I must admit that when I get replies to my pointing out spelling mistakes or poor grammar " Thanks but I am not that bothered as I am not trying to get it published" or words to that effect, gggrrrrr it makes me fed up.

If someone does not respect their work enough to either take care before posting (and we all make typos etc) or be appreciative that someone took the time to try to help? well, it shows a lack of respect to the site and the reader and I wonder what the hell they are looking for posting? I will certainly never read that author again. What's the point?  🙁

If someone wants to post shoddy half- assed work and has no interest in improving ,it takes the quality of the site down and that's  a fact.

Richard , I do sympathise. Getting the site up and running was a massive achievement and then there was the time it went down but you managed to save all our work. I also know the Boss does not keep well, so you are very much appreciated. I wish I was more computer savvy but I'm pretty useless I'm afraid.

Archie, I know what you say is true and it was a kick in the teeth to feel all your hard input did not seem to be appreciated while someone else who gave sweet FA appeared to be lauded but that's all in the past now.

As I have said, it really does depend on the reading audience how a poem goes down. I think two of mine read over 2,000 times were never nibbed or nominated but obviously appealed to many. The rant the other day that went down like a lead balloon here, got me 8 new followers on Twitter from literary people, so again, one man's meat in another man's poison.
I use Twitter for social commentary.
I have no interest in garnering a following at all but do post my poems to a wider audience. Although I am not a fan of social media as a whole and detest Facebook with a passion, I am glad I am on Twitter as seems to be reads here would be as rare as hen's teeth. (Ok slight exaggeration, call it poetic licence) 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2017 2:58 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

Luigi,

Is NOYN not on your nellie? That did give me a laugh. 😉 😉 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2017 3:02 pm
archiemac
(@archiemac)

lol lol lol again, Luigi. Indeed, PMSL.

In fact, I believe I would even venture as far as to say, ROFPMSL.

The complete and utter absence of any kind of ambition or desire for creative development whatsoever on this website never fails to tickle me.

lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2017 3:11 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

Image result for not on your nellie

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2017 3:13 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member