Notifications
Clear all

Closing UKA - Thanks for past times!  

Page 2 / 9
  RSS

SugarMama
(@sugarmama)
June 13, 2020 7:38 pm  

@albermund Hello Albermund. There are quite a lot that miss Sunky. His name has been mentioned by so many. He was a very funny man and a sincere one too. If I'm honest he is one of the ones that I miss the most. I keep in touch with a few off UKA but not loads. Yeah, it was bitter-sweet for me too to read some of my stuff I wrote. This place got me through some dark times and for that, I will be forever grateful for stumbling upon this beautiful place called UKA. The comments I received were great and last night I smiled, laughed and cried that was the beauty of this place. The people here made it a joy be here and if my life path hadn't changed and wasn't so busy with my younger children I would have been here more.

Lol it's okay I understand. I rarely bother with many people either, only a chosen few. I prefer to be in the company of my dogs mainly, but it's good to chat now and again. You are very welcome hun I just that I would ask and I'm not at all offended. I do get where you are coming from and I hope that you will be happy too and carry on writing. It has been a pleasure to know you online Albert and I wish you well in all and everything you do. Take care my lovely one. 

Big Cwtches.

SugarMama. (Lisa) 🙂 xxx

If anyone would like to stay in touch please message me and if not I wish you all the very best and all my love from Wales. It has been a pleasure to get to know quite of few of you all from the early days of UKA especially, and Andrea and Richard too, who if it wasn't for you both none of us would have met and what we have all written learnt and achieved would not have been possible.  🙂  

This post was modified 2 months ago by SugarMama

gee, michel and albermund liked
ReplyQuote
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Reputable Member
June 15, 2020 9:06 am  

With UKAuthors closing writing in soon, the pain I am left with, being the only one who actively stood up to its inevitable saboteur while admin let him have free rein for far too long, initially, is one of disappointment, especially when members I've known and exchanged pleasant comments, even interesting debates, with for up to twenty years seemed to be happy to let me struggle on with this problem alone, and eventually at a cost no doubt to my own integrity. On past record, others may well think I deserve it, I can understand that.

Of course it's a pain for the rest of us, the active that is, faced with continually trying to keep an open, friendly creative atmosphere for all types of writers at all levels of aspiration using critique, encouragement, and gratitude, interspersed with humorous and interesting conversations. I too, thought all the bickering tedious and would have been easier and expedient to just keep away from it all, keep it out of my own life, which, like all of us, has had its trials and tribulations to contend with too.

One would think this was a classic case of the silent majority of decent people not being supportive and consequent in their actions. But, the reality is there was no back-up to be had, there is no great weight of old members left, only a few remaining passive off-stage, a few content to just reminisce, and some newer members whose contributions have been mostly ignored, and who were now confused as to what was going on. This whole episode is shameful for them.

While we're at it, I can mention some of the members that come to mind, who I've felt honoured to have had numerous interactions with including on a previous site, some, sadly, no longer with us (by user name): Kat, Shackleton, Bradene, Elfstone, Leila, Ionicus, Skeeter, Dargo77, Woodbine, Sunken, IYP, Jolen, Mikeverdi, Bozz, Gerry, Bel, Shadow, Capricorn, Stormwolf, Mitch, Nemo, Savvi, Valdoren, Pommer, Gee, Jay12, Franciman, Pronto, Sweetwater, Supratik, Collhermit, and Griffoner. Thanks for some valued exchanges as we all move on from this site full of happier memories.

jay12, gee, jolen and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
jolen
(@jolen)
Eminent Member
June 16, 2020 12:34 pm  

I too am terribly saddened by the closure of this site. Both Andrea and Richard gave so much time and effort to provide all of us with a creative outlet. I will be forever grateful and wish you both the very best in everything. I owe so much to so many from UKA over the years and while there will always disagreements and a certain amount of disgruntlement amongst people, most of us managed to work through it for many years. That is no longer the case I guess, and we will all be poorer for it, IMO. 

I regret that I was unable to do more for the site and to help out. It will bother me always. I will miss so many people from here and those who have left their mortal shell too. If anyone wants to contact me, you can do do so at salemsgate@mac.com. Take care folks and once again, my sincerest gratitude to Andrea, Richard and so many of the wonderful people I have met her while enjoying their vision and talent along the way. 

On another note, can someone tell me where to find our older work that was linked to our accounts? I can only find the four pieces I posted three years ago. 

Be well everyone and please stay safe. 

Jolen

SugarMama and gee liked
ReplyQuote
jolen
(@jolen)
Eminent Member
June 16, 2020 1:01 pm  

@gothicman

Trevor, I have adored you since your first comment on my work when you took the piss out of it and I still do adore you. But you weren't the only one standing up against the bullies here. However, I would agree that you've been the most vocal one in recent times. When I was here the first time I tackled several of our biggest bullies/assholes whom I am sure you may have fought too, and even when they came back under different names. Although not sure about one of them since so many seem to think the sun shines out of her ass. 

The biggest one to my mind I didn't even know about until he contacted me hoping to use me as an accomplice. In fact, I am pretty sure while he was here posting his last bit of 'poor, poor, pitiful me' propaganda he left me some less-than-flattering comments on my work. I never got to see them though as by the time I saw the notifications, the comments and his posts were gone. I was able to read the forum post by email before it was removed. 

I didn't always agree with the way things were handled here and I spoke out about it too and yes, there were several times when it seemed like those people deemed as more talented were catered to more than others, but that is pretty much how life is everywhere and for me, it wasn't so unbearable that I couldn't thrive here. And believe me there were times when if I could have met some of these people in public, I'd have punched them in the face. Actually, that is true to this day. E-griff being one of the biggest banes to my existence here. A couple other of former members and formerly known as something else members tried to cause me problems from day one, from lying about me and spreading bullshit rumors to trying to poison relationships I was developing with people here. 

I'm rambling now, but if you want to, shout me at salemsgate@mac.com and I'll go into things more with you or we can just shoot the shit, whichever, I'm not fussed. 

You helped my work improve over the years and I will always appreciate it. I too would like to say a special thanks to people like Griffoner, Kat, Luigi, Rosco, Sheilagh, Shywolf, Sunken, Woodbine, and so many others that I'm overlooking right now, but don't mean to. 

Anyway, Trev, I support you, and thank you for standing up for your beliefs, many which I share and I'm sorry I wasn't here more to back you up but I do back you. I hope to hear from you. Please keep safe and stay tough! 

love,

jolen

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by jolen

ReplyQuote
ruadh
(@ruadh)
June 16, 2020 1:01 pm  

@jolen

I agree, there was so much support on Uka when I joined. Although I've not written for a long time now I still came back to read work. I shall miss that. 

I sometimes wonder if the forums should have been closed as they were the source of a lot of the problems. People would have had to concentrate on the writing itself, which is what it was all about really. Saying that, it's sad that adults couldn't be trusted to behave like adults.

For older work you will have to go to the archive Jolen. It's in the links section I think.

Ailsa

SugarMama, gee and jolen liked
ReplyQuote
jolen
(@jolen)
Eminent Member
June 16, 2020 1:03 pm  

@ruadh

Thank you so very much and yes, it is a shame that we grown ups aren't always above atrocious behavior. I too am and have been guilty of less than dignified living here and there. lol 

Please take good care, hon. 

J

ReplyQuote
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Eminent Member
June 16, 2020 3:48 pm  

I've emailed a couple of people who I've been in contact with who used to be UKA members to let them know the site is closing. In one case, I'm not sure if he has the same email address as we haven't emailed since 2018.  

I came here from Bewrite and I loved it here. Everyone was encouraging and helpful and it felt like such a great place to be. Andrea and Richard worked so hard here and there were always members on hand to make sure new people were made welcome. We had our disagreements, of course, but they seemed to blow over then, and I could spend days reading through all the new submissions, because there were so many of them. It was a place of inspiration too, somewhere to come to learn and to be with kind people. @ruadh I think a lot of arguments happened in the forums and I agree they should have been closed. If someone had a problem they could have taken it to pm and kept it just between themselves.

It's sad that it's come to this but I'll always have great memories of this site and the people I've met here. I'm not going to name anyone because I couldn't bear to leave anyone out. 

So, take care all and I hope to bump into you all again one day. 

Gee

SugarMama and ionicus liked
ReplyQuote
SugarMama
(@sugarmama)
June 16, 2020 4:58 pm  

@Jolen and @Gee Hello lovely ones. I was only thinking about you both a few nights ago. I hope that life is treating you good and you are both well. It's been a while since I last spoke or heard from you, probably when we were all on UKA. I was reading through my archived work and come across some comments off the two of you and it brought back happy memories and happy times. Anyway, as I said I hope that all is okay in your world. Stay happy, healthy and safe and wish you both well.

Much love,

SugarMama (Lisa) xxx

ReplyQuote
ruadh
(@ruadh)
June 16, 2020 7:03 pm  

@gee

I remember you from BeWrite Gill, seems like a lifetime ago now. There was one story in particular that stayed with me but I can't remember the title. I'm sure it had 'eyes' in it, you were intending it to be a novel. Does it ring a bell? Did you finish it? I'd love to read it if you did.

Ailsa

ReplyQuote
jay12
(@jay12)
Eminent Member
June 18, 2020 1:07 am  

I'm sad that this site is dying. I'm sad a man who used his admin privileges on this site to contact me out of the blue using my old email address registered here, was allowed to blow the place up over many, many months. When this site tried to be WABD I did what I could to test this new site out and offer feedback to help, then once launched it was changed back to UKA and then handed over to the master saboteur who's own complexes about his male white privilege being at risk somehow in a world the white male already owns and controls, was allowed to stab this nearly two decade old site that thousands used and loved in the heart. He asked me once to take over UKA and run it with him. Anyone else up for that? My 'no' was not a reflection on this site at all. 

UKA has been taken down by one troll that was here to just troll. And cared not one fucking shit about words, stories, poetry or a community. 

That's the truth. 

We should try and salvage what we fucking can. And nuke the rest from orbit... it's the only way to be sure. 

You can bet the master troll is sitting back now with a glass of something strong and a smile on his face because, he might be able to write, but his main objective is this destruction (maybe its inspiration for more angry white poetry) and we now have to let it happen before us. 

This was our experience, A&R allowed us to have it, and now its been fucked hard. 

And we can do dick all about it. So fucking sad. I've been knocking around here too long not to see how painfully sad this end is. 

ReplyQuote
jay12
(@jay12)
Eminent Member
June 18, 2020 1:31 am  

@gothicman Bradene was great. As was Dargo77. All of the names you mentioned were hugely important back in the day on UKA. Bluepootle, Hazy, Flash and Claire were people I loved very much back then. Claire and I spent hours chatting, she was a really great person to me. I still miss her and wonder what she is up to, to this day, I've not spoken to her for a while and that's sad. We worked together on Twisted Tongue for a number of years and it was great. It was a great magazine. I still have all of the copies of it. UKA was the magnet that drew us all back despite anything else. We always found our path lead back home to UKA. 

How do we save it? Is it worth saving? Is UKA a memory of the past? 

ReplyQuote
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Reputable Member
June 18, 2020 9:45 am  

@ Jolen
Thanks for your kind words and support, which is reciprocated. My faith in humanity has almost been restored, though it would seem these days we're all on a slippery downward slope heading for Armageddon lightening fast? I'm still recovering from being on the 26-hour Göteborg - Newcastle ferry, with an identical-twin convention of 156 pairs, when I disembarked as a blithering idiot expecting to see two of everybody for months, years even, still happening! I sympathised with you at the time, what 12 years ago, being married to a fellow poet and identical twin! I hope we can keep in touch.

@ Jay12
Yes, a frail memory unfortunately recalls only those one interacted most with. And, because of the huge amount of talent, both poets and writers, all were less prolific with submissions back then, many of the interactions were very sparse, so that there are of course far more members than mentioned, who, though commenting occasionally, and one read and enjoyed their work, enjoyed greater affinity with other members than oneself, especially in the different genres, level of skill, expectations, etc..
I seem to remember you as Jay, and that you became Jay12 later?
I liked reading Hazy's poems, the open human honesty, because many reflected her ongoing struggles with current London life, and Claire (a Geordie?), though I didn't read much prose then, she often commented on any humorous pieces I submitted. There are many more I remember, though sadly more vagually.
Do you think Richard might be persuaded to revive the site when this Covid crisis takes up less of his time, and with better control of membership? It would be a big ask.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Gothicman

ReplyQuote
jolen
(@jolen)
Eminent Member
June 18, 2020 10:17 am  

@sugarmama

Oh gods, yes, dear Lisa, hello. I hope all is well with you and your lovely family. Thanks for remembering me. Please stay safe and my best wishes to you.

Jolen

SugarMama liked
ReplyQuote
jolen
(@jolen)
Eminent Member
June 18, 2020 10:21 am  

@gee

OH you're so lovely, Gee and of course I have forgotten names but I remember when I see them again. I shall miss so many more folks than I mentioned and I'm sorry to all those I've overlooked in mentions. I do wish nearly everyone well, and hope that you all stay safe in this mad, mad world. 

Best Wishes,

Jolen

ReplyQuote
jolen
(@jolen)
Eminent Member
June 18, 2020 10:36 am  

@jay12

Oh Jay! I remember you and yes, I know you too fought that git who as you say is probably sitting somewhere laughing that he finally has managed to facilitate the demise here. But to be fair, so many of us have just been too busy or whatever to be here and give back to the site enough to help bolster both Andrea and Richard's hard work and their financial investments. At least that's true in my case. I have been absent and wallowing, when I should have been here helping. 

You mentioned several folks I miss the work of and interacting with too, Val, Daffni, Claire, gods, so many. I did try to email you a few times, Jay, but the email I had for you, like most of the people here seems to be defunct. 

I agree with you about that 'troll'. I had quite the experience with him too, where, like with you, hec contacted me out of the blue. I think he was less than pleased with my assessment of him and my directives to him. 😉

I'd also like to take a moment and thank everyone that read my work, gave me critique and helped me. Thanks to all of the wonderful people who gave me hope, and colored in a rainbow in my often darkened skies. Thanks too to the couple of folks I grew to hate from here. For they too helped me, by reminding me that there will always be small people who need to cut others down so that they may feel taller. 

Please keep safe and stay strong.

Best Wishes,
Jolen

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 9
Share: