Clear all

Closing UKA - Thanks for past times!  

Page 1 / 9
  RSS

Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Reputable Member
June 6, 2020 10:18 pm  

Thank you, Andrea & Richard! Wishing you both good luck, good health, and happier times in the future. Wishing all members, past and present, the same too. Thanks for some rewarding reading, and some interesting and inspiring interactions in cyberspace. Keep smiling, and take good care of yourselves through this crisis!

From Trevor (Gothicman, member since Jan 2004) 😊 (Corrected)

jolen liked
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Noble Member
June 6, 2020 10:58 pm  

So sorry to see the final  curtains after so many years. I spent an enjoyable time on this site for a long while since I joined in 2003/2004 both on the writing side and the musical challenge, where I met that dynamic duo Steve and Tony (Amman) and others. My grateful thanks go to Richard and Andrea for providing the platform on which would-be authors could practice and be tested.
And to loads of fellow members too many to mention, cheers, 😀  

Luigi

stormwolf, gee, jolen and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
andrea
(@andrea)
Prominent Member Admin
June 7, 2020 10:14 am  

Thanks guys...appreciate it.

ReplyQuote
shipbuilder
(@shipbuilder)
Estimable Member
June 8, 2020 8:57 am  

I am also sorry to see it go.    Best of luck to Andrea & Richard for the future.

I don't know if there is anywhere else to go - so it will be missed.

Robert

ruadh and jay12 liked
ReplyQuote
amman
(@amman)
Famed Member
June 8, 2020 10:56 am  

Hi Andrea & Richard.  So sorry to see the site, which you have treated as a labour of love for so many years, closing.  Thanks for everything and good health and good luck for the future.  Best.....Tony (Amman).

stormwolf and jay12 liked
ReplyQuote
ruadh
(@ruadh)
June 9, 2020 12:50 pm  

So sorry to see this happening. Uka and BeWrite were the first sites I joined when I began writing back in 2002. Now both are gone.

Thank you to Andrea and Richard for all they have done over the years. I wish you well for the future.

Take care everyone.

jay12 liked
ReplyQuote
ruadh
(@ruadh)
June 9, 2020 1:18 pm  

@andrea Is Uka Press also closing? I have been looking to buy a copy of Sighs of a Mouse but Amazon has been saying it is unavailable. 

ReplyQuote
SugarMama
(@sugarmama)
June 9, 2020 6:29 pm  

Hey Andrea and Richard. I have just heard of the news about the site. I'm so sorry to hear of its closure. You have both worked so hard on here and have helped many, including myself. It has been a pleasure to know you both virtually. I learnt a lot from people on here when I first began all those years ago. 

Due to a busy family lifestyle and my brood. I gave up writing for a little while and have not long started again. UKA will always have a special place in my heart. So many memories here. There were some good laughs and fun banter. I miss those times. I made some good friends on here, some I'm still in touch with and sadly others I'm not and we have lost touch. I would like to keep in contact with a few more, if those of you would like to, just message me. 

If anyone is in touch with Sunken, please let him know that Sugar has been asking about him. 

Andrea, will the links to past writings that have been archived also be deleted? 

I would just like to thank you both very much from my soul for creating UKA, it helped me a lot in my darkest and hardest of times. I will never forget you all and this virtual place that will always be special to me. 

I wish you both well and to any new adventures that may arise in the future. 

Much love to you both,

Lisa AKA Sugarmama since 2005.

xxxx

stormwolf liked
ReplyQuote
topsy
(@topsy)
June 10, 2020 10:21 am  

So sorry to hear the news of UKA closing. I confess I haven't used the site for many years as the muse has deserted me 😉, but the comments on my work were a great support at the time and I really appreciated the feedback. Good luck for any future projects.

This post was modified 2 months ago by topsy

ruadh liked
ReplyQuote
albermund
(@albermund)
June 13, 2020 3:33 am  

Had a great 6 years here way back. Was my favourite place on the internet. Lots of lovely folk. Will always be so grateful to you - Andrea and Richard for giving me somewhere to post my nonsense. You, especially, Andrea were always good fun and so encouraging. Of all the folk i met here the one that really shines out was Sunken. I reckon he must have lit up lives of many many people and if anyone ever bumps into him or his dog Bernard the beagle please pass on my very best regards. Thanks again you two and all success in whatever you get up to next. cheers lots, albert

ReplyQuote
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Noble Member
June 13, 2020 9:46 am  

Albert, I agree with your assessment of Sunken. He lit up my life with his witticisms and humorous asides. Does anyone have news of him? I very much would like to hear.
Luigi

SugarMama liked
ReplyQuote
jay12
(@jay12)
Eminent Member
June 13, 2020 3:18 pm  

Hi Richard, Andrea and everyone. This is indeed very sad news. Having lost my love of writing several years ago I did try and try to get it back and UKA was the place I always would turn for inspiration. I joined this site in 2003 and for the next decade absolutely loved it. My life changed and my writing slowly died but I had so much fun and learned so much about the craft here and got to know a lot of people during that time that I absolutely adored and still do. This place has always seemed like a safe haven away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the internet. It is amazing the amount of talent that has been allowed to share itself with the world via this website and hearing this news has left me with a heavy heart and lots of fond memories. I have to confess feeling awful for not being around here more often in the past few years and that the lack of users, myself included, has contributed to this decision.  Bless you Richard and Andrea, you are truly lovely people and where ever life takes you from here I wish you both all the happiness and success life can offer. 

Thank you. x

SugarMama liked
ReplyQuote
albermund
(@albermund)
June 13, 2020 3:57 pm  

@ionicus If i remember correctly I reckon sunken liked your stuff a hell of a lot, luigi. He was so unselfish too. Such a good poet but spent most of his time puffing everyone else up with praise and smiles. Just hope he's hale 'n' hearty. Another fellow should also be mentioned and that's e-griff. He took on the real difficult job of actually giving folk critical advice. He didn't have much success with me but by gum he tried hard. It's only years later when i look back at his comments that i realise that on occasions i was a bit of a tit for ignoring his ideas, heh! He and sunken were a great combo. I do hope life is treating him well too. cheers and all the best, albert 🙂

SugarMama liked
ReplyQuote
SugarMama
(@sugarmama)
June 13, 2020 4:24 pm  

@albermund I too miss Sunken or as I use to call him Sunky Le Munk 🙂 Aww brings back some lovely fun times and great and witty banter. He always cheered me up and I miss him.

I wish there was some way we could get in touch with him as he is missed by so many of the UKAERS

I was only looking through all my old work last night that were in the archives and reading through all the comments that were left made me smile and tear up. 

I would like to keep in touch with quite a few on here as I have missed quite a few people, but unsure if anyone would like to stay in touch with me. If you would like to please just send me a message on UKA. 

Take care everyone. Sending you all big Welsh cwtches.

Much love

SugarMama (Lisa) xxxx

ionicus liked
ReplyQuote
albermund
(@albermund)
June 13, 2020 7:19 pm  

@sugarmama Hello sugarma, i'm glad you feel like me about that lovely, kind, silly guy. Like you i often look back on my UKA archives which i'll always keep. Reading the poems again with all the comments is just a brilliant reminisce. As regards keeping in touch I'm actually a hellish unsociable person. I love interacting with folk via their poetry but much prefer animals in general. All I was trying to do here was to make people aware how grateful i was for having known them in my own limited way. You come across as a lovely lady and i really hope you and your old pals here keep in touch and enjoy each other's company. I love knowing other folk are happy and that there's no way i cock things up if i'm not around, heh! Cheers bunches and thanks a lot for asking. albert 🙂

ionicus liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 9
Share: