Forum

Voices From The Web...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Voices From The Web 2021

52 Posts
12 Users
8 Likes
1,394 Views
Mandrake
(@mandrake)
Posts: 19
Eminent Member
Topic starter
 

 

@andrea @richard @stevef @stormwolf @franciman

I thought I’d create a new thread for this topic, which arose from New Incentives.

This is me formally volunteering to reinstate the annual anthology. To that end, I would like to have the quorate blessing of the site admin & mods before proceeding.

I am happy to do all the donkey work of collating and editing content, then preparing a print-ready document & cover design for publication.

Since the UKAPress does not appear to be active, I could publish via the Cerasus Poetry small press, but under the UKA banner. Copies could be either be sold at cost, or marked up to make a small profit to be donated wherever UKA deems appropriate.

I propose that UKA members would nominate pieces to be included: say, from the past 3 years as I understand that ‘Voices From The Web 2018’ was the previous collection.

Initial quality control would be done by me (unless any admin or mods would like to be involved at this stage). Certainly, I would not publish until the final draft has been approved by them.

With sufficient and timely response, we could have a book on sale in time for this Xmas.

Over to you. Discuss.

 

 
Posted : May 24, 2021 2:44 pm
stormwolf reacted
stevef
(@stevef)
Posts: 746
Reputable Member
 

That's a very kind offer, Mandrake, it'll be much appreciated. I'll forward it to admin.

 

 
Posted : May 25, 2021 8:02 am
stormwolf reacted
andrea
(@andrea)
Posts: 190
Prominent Member Admin
 

Brilliant idea, thanks so much Mandrake. You certainly have my blessing.

Would also like to apologise for my absence, afraid I've not been feeling great for a while.

By the way, my Tiscali email addy had been obsolete for a while now. Dead as the proverbial...luckily Richard forwarded the relevant email. My new addy (which is now on the site) is andrea@ ukap .nl (,without spaces, obviously). Nice and shory 🙂

 

 

 
Posted : May 26, 2021 10:48 am
stormwolf reacted
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
 

It's SO good to hear from you Boss! I am sure I speak for everyone when I say we are thinking of you and wishing you well. We miss you something terrible! Lol 🙄 😜 😢 

Mandrake!

That is the most incredibly generous offer and one that is much appreciated by all I am sure. It will be just the incentive we need, not just to churn out some meticulous stuff but to re-read our fav authors and give them a vote. 

You are totally aware of the incredible amount of work you are taking on and I for one salute you! 

Thank you, thank you, thank you. {blue}:lovekiss:  

 
Posted : May 26, 2021 2:36 pm
franciman
(@franciman)
Posts: 17
Reputable Member
 

I put the following on the introductions section, to signal a return to the fold, but can see it might be better here?   I love the idea of an anthology, by the way…

I’m ready to do a bit of an ’I’m an alcoholic' soul baring. I put myself forward as a moderator in order to help keep UKA in being. It has worked, at least in the sense that we are still alive and kicking. Steering the recovery probably requires a bit more technical savvie than I possess. Add to that my original belief that being a daily contributing member would be a must, and you might see from whence I come?
I’ve come through a barren patch as far as new writing goes. For at least a year I have suffered from lack of inspiration and ideas to seed my recovery. Unfortunately, the way it works is that if I haven’t an offering, I don’t feel driven to come on site.
I do realise that is not an excuse… it is however, an essential truth.
I also thought that I had brushed off as inconsequential, the rather lurid aspersions and criticism I received in those early revival days. It is surely another essential truth, that consequences did derive from such critique.
I am now heavily involved in writing. I have a second manuscript on the go, and am also engaged in revising an incomplete manuscript for my friend and colleague, Mike Verdi.
The upshot? I may not contribute new work in any regular fashion, but that will no longer be a block to my regular appearance on site.
So… I will attempt to facilitate. I may even attempt to stimulate. I can invigilate and moderate, but…
I can’t do the technical stuff.
All I can promise is to turn up on Publishing days and talk ‘Writing’… Yours; mine; what makes it work; what makes us tick…

 
Posted : May 29, 2021 11:04 am
Mandrake
(@mandrake)
Posts: 19
Eminent Member
Topic starter
 

Just waiting to hear if the 'Nominate' button can be restored, which would make my task easier.

 

In the meantime, why not browse the site and make a note of pieces you would like to see published.

 
Posted : May 30, 2021 2:37 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
 

Okay, people!

I have reactivated the anthology nominations button on each submission page. 

The button only shows for logged in members.

The button doesn't show for the authors of the submission (to stop self-nominations!).

The button will show 'nominate this' if the submission has not yet been nominated.

The button will show 'NOMINATED' if/when the submission has been nominated.

There's a link in the nominations button box to the list nominations list.

The nominations list updates automatically.

I've put a link to the nominations list in the menu bar at the very top of the website.

This is the link to the nominations list:

Nominations LIST

 

I will send out a newsletter soon with an announcement of 'UKA Voices from the Web 2021'.

 

 

 
Posted : June 1, 2021 8:47 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
 

By the way, Can we have some fiction & flash fiction nominations, please? Not just a tonne of poetry! {blue}:wink:  

 
Posted : June 1, 2021 10:40 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 

How many nominations per member?  {blue}:grinning:

 
Posted : June 2, 2021 2:27 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
 

I think there should be a limit of about 5 nominations per member, really. We don't want to sift through hundreds of nominations to arrive at the small amount that will end up in the book. 

The motto should be 'Be picky'.

 
Posted : June 3, 2021 10:08 am
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
 

If I remember rightly, all the nominations were considered but only two were included per person in the anthology to make it equal. So one may have several nominations but only two published.  

 
Posted : June 3, 2021 2:07 pm
Mandrake
(@mandrake)
Posts: 19
Eminent Member
Topic starter
 

Personally, I’m not fussed about the number of nominations. It’s quality not quantity that matters most. Nor am I a fan of quotas or tokenism.

 
Posted : June 3, 2021 7:50 pm
ukadmin reacted
andrea
(@andrea)
Posts: 190
Prominent Member Admin
 

Haha, agree!

 
Posted : June 3, 2021 8:04 pm
ukadmin reacted
Dodgem
(@dodgem)
Posts: 41
Trusted Member
 

Head over the parapet moment.......offering some thoughts etc. I'm not sure how well this is working. I have dutifully nominated some poems, but I don't see the list expanding since. And there is the problem of what to nominate; as in how far back does one go? I have found this to be difficult as there is just so much poetry (I am limiting myself to that area). I am concerned that I may have overlooked some excellent poems when browsing back. With the list so far: I have been nominated for one poem - for which I'm grateful; but it is not one that I would have rated myself, above some other of my poems, but is that me just being 'precious'? Maybe we just have to accept that the list will be subjective to what an individual member selects, and that will be the criteria for any possible inclusion? And it may be too early to see how the list will develop; I will watch it to see.

Best to All

Dodge

 

 
Posted : June 8, 2021 3:42 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 

@dodgem 

With previous anthologies there was a dedicated editor who examined the list of nominations and selected the ones to be included. I don't know what criteria he used but I assume that he based his choices on the quality of the pieces but he was, if I am not mistaken, the final arbiter. As Mandrake has assumed that mantle, I would expect he will be issuing instructions as to how to proceed.
As far as how far to go back and what to choose, maybe the last nomination list may be a point of reference. Here is the link:

https://ukauthors.com/noms-ordered-full/ 🙂  

 

 
Posted : June 8, 2021 4:31 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: