7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hello all, ❤️ 

I have so missed being part of this community. I have learned that stifled creativity is damaging to the soul. We can all go through periods of self doubt and down in Edinburgh my next door neighbour was so incredibly talented as a poet and writer ( not to mention an incredilble human being) I lost confidence and did not accept her invitations to submit my work to different avenues down there. Something I may regret.
I have always maintained it is stunting to compare our work to others as it stifles our true voice ....yet there I went. Ha!

Then I moved up here and my new friend is unbelievably talented too haha. 😳 She said I need to get back to writing so here I am.
I am hopelessy out of date with how the site is run so welcome any info. 🙄  

I also knew our archives were going to be deleted so Richard sent me mine, around 290 poems, my best work....and I got my son to track them down yesterday with a view to reposting some to get back in the swing but it looks like I am missing lots and have comments but no poems. ☹️

Is there anything I can do? 😓 

When I was depressed it did not seem to matter but now that I am getting over the trauma of my move I would be desperately sad if I had lost them as I can only recite about two from memory. ☹ 

Anyway, I look forward to reading you again and becoming more involved. 😍 

Posted : November 25, 2022 6:52 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @stormwolf

I also knew our archives were going to be deleted so Richard sent me mine, around 290 poems, my best work....and I got my son to track them down yesterday with a view to reposting some to get back in the swing but it looks like I am missing lots and have comments but no poems. ☹️

When I was depressed it did not seem to matter but now that I am getting over the trauma of my move I would be desperately sad if I had lost them as I can only recite about two from memory. ☹ 

Hooray - the Wolfstress has returned. Great to see your bubbly-self online again. 😀 

Are you saying that you've lost your archived work and don't have your hard drive/Cloud originals? 

This post was modified 1 year ago by stevef

Posted : November 27, 2022 5:51 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yes, Steve, My son found them and put them under UKA archives on my desktop. I was delighted as the first two pages were some poems and all the comments but on closer inspection, I only have two pages and some poems have only the comments and not the poem.

I know they will be somewhere as they were so precious but as each upgrade I saved the desktop with what I thought were my archives . Now I dont know what to do as I dont know when my son will be back and he's probably irritated by me lol.

I have one of those small plug in contraptions but there is nowhere left to plug into my PC as I had to use a dongle here to get on broadband and scared to unplug in case I lose connection

. Oh misery me. If I had two brain cells I would be dangerous. 😒 

Posted : November 29, 2022 4:33 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Panic over! I am delirious with joy! 🤗 490 pages rediscovered. I knew they would be there somewhere but I have so many poems under different headings. I shall be reposting some. It is amazing to see of the few I read just now, how many speak of what we are now going through globally. I will have to go and lie down in a darkened room. The stress of it all almost done me in. 🙄 

My son took off my Norton that I paid for Steve. He said it was slowing things down but my pc is still slow and Norton was recommended to me by the guy who looked after my pc in Edinburgh. What do you think? 😘 

Posted : November 29, 2022 5:36 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Reputable Member

Hi, Alison,

Sounds like you need a USB hub to get some more devices connected. I guess you're using the others for your mouse and keyboard. I might have got a spare lying around somewhere. Re your missing work, the easiest method of finding missing documents is by using Search. Open your documents folder and look at the top right-hand side. You should see a Search Documents box next to a magnifying glass. Type in the name of one of the documents (or a key word in it) that you can't find and a drop-down list should appear of the file if it's on your computer.  

You should still have got most of your work on the hard disk you were using prior to copying it onto the new solid state drive a while back so all isn't lost if nothing shows up. 😎 

ps - I owe you an email, I'll get onto it. 😉 

This post was modified 1 year ago by stevef

Posted : November 29, 2022 5:37 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Reputable Member

Crossed messages! Great relief for you to find your work again. 🙂  

I binned Norton about 20 years ago because it was resource-heavy. Try Avast Free- I've been using it ever since Norton and even went for the paid version because I was so happy with it.

https://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download#pc

Free CCleaner too, if you haven't already got it: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Have a full scan with them and they'll soon get you back up to speed.

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by stevef

Posted : November 29, 2022 5:49 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: @stormwolf

The archive is still in our database, Storm. I have just checked and you are listed as having 276 submissions (first submissions July 2009). So they are here and safely stored (comments too).

The UKArchive that I set up on this website when we moved from 'OLD' UKA to 'NEW' is not working because Wordpress updates over the last few years have broken my coding of those archive pages, so I will need to work out a way to get the submission archives into a readable format for you to see/download again.

I'll try to fix things today.

Posted : November 30, 2022 1:21 pm
Share: