Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Site management and stuff!  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Trusted Member Admin

Some details on how admin will try to manage the site over the next few months.

New member accounts can be created but will be subject to checks and moderation until the account is deemed 'trusted'.

Because the site is now resuming twice-weekly publishing of submissions I can check that any scheduled writing is not spam or abuse etc. Anything deemed troublesome will be removed or set to 'draft' so it isn't published.

Forum posting for new members is also initially moderated. New member's forum posts will be queued for moderation and won't be viewable until they are authorised by a moderator. After an initial period of moderation, the new member will revert to 'trusted' and their posts will publish without moderation.

ALL new topics and forum posts will automatically send a notification email to a moderator so every forum post can be checked for 'issues'.

comments of submissions will also be subject to moderation.

Members are asked to help keep the site friendly and welcoming by emailing the admin if they see anything that constitutes spam, abuse or trouble!

email  - webmaster@ukauthors.com

Thanks

Also:

We record ALL IPs now. We can use these to ban spammer and abusive/troublesome users SITEWIDE.

Posted : September 21, 2020 9:47 pm
Elfstone liked
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

you know it's funny but any site management has a lot in common with signs of respect in a relationship especially the following

9. They have personal habits that are incosiderate.

https://www.bustle.com/p/9-signs-your-partner-doesnt-respect-you-enough-7664412

and this word is a key word, being considerate. I hope all your members will be as considerate as you want them.

Good Luck!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 10:06 pm
Elfstone and ukadmin liked
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Trusted Member Admin

I am going to find and employ a WordPress plugin developer to do the additions, tweaks and alterations to the core of this website. I'm not able to do code things we need and I think it would be quicker, easier and more productive to get a proper WP dev/coder to do what we want.

Things in the pipeline include:

Proper favourite author & favourite submissions lists

Collections 

Comments sorting for members & site wide - so users can sort the comments by 'received comments', 'comments given'

A better 'Submit' page - At the moment it is confusing and tricky to use. We need a FRONTEND submssion page.

I need to priorities what things need to be done first. I'd like suggestions for what you think we need to get setup/added/fixed first off.

Suggest and discuss in this thread.

thanks

SO...

suggest the first job / addition / alteration to the site?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2020 9:09 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

submission page should be second to what you already implemented, moderators receive new topics and you or other admins can read future submissions and act accordingly.

wonderful

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2020 9:11 pm
stormwolf liked
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

and I don't know i f an admin such as you can revert to draft and make it impossible for the person to either delete it or schedule it anew -that 'red' articles will remain 'RED' until the writer edited them according to the one big guideline for all: BE NICE.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2020 9:15 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

also, I don't really like, although I've used them this tag thing, and I think that at least there should be a limit because somebody might  - for advertizing reasons or whatever weird idea he/she has - use fifty tags. I think less than six is okay to define his/her submission if categories were not enough.

I do think that if categories were more tags are not needed at all. there is a description for that. and it would probably be best as a footer. short again. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2020 9:25 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Trusted Member Admin

Yes, I agree. I think tags are pretty pointless. It's only because it's a feature of WP that they are included in the submission process. I think I will get the dev to remove tags as an option.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2020 9:29 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member Moderator

@ukadmin
That sounds spiffing old boy! Love I am getting all excited now.... Wink

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2020 2:06 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Honorable Member Moderator

@welshlivesmatter
Excellent ideas. * does a wee dance in the privacy of my own four walls.* Smile
Ewan's page looks great. It allows us to showcase our successes and so helps us to feel we have a special place on the site. I know of so many really good poems and poets, who have sort of disappeared through the cracks. Many were beginning to acquire such confidence in their own unique style but the way the site has been set up recently...you are only as good as your latest post...which means that many really great works were lost into history.
We all need something to aim for. I feel we all work best when we feel there is something to aspire to. It is not a case of setting a bar as such (although that has certain benefits too) but more a case of people being able to see their work and how it progresses and how it is received. Some may not need this but many do.
Off the top of my head I can think of several people who blossomed under the old UKA.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2020 2:22 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Trusted Member Admin
Posted by: @welshlivesmatter
Posted by: @ukadmin

Things in the pipeline include:

Proper favourite author & favourite submissions lists

Collections 

Comments sorting for members & site wide - so users can sort the comments by 'received comments', 'comments given'

A better 'Submit' page - At the moment it is confusing and tricky to use. We need a FRONTEND submission page.

So yes, as I was saying before the interruption, these kinds of ideas are excellent and are precisely what we need if we genuinely want the site to survive.

Collections was my idea and is of particular importance to me, however I'm not saying we should prioritise it. This would be a great way for authors to sort their pieces into whatever order they wanted, divided into different collections, like they have on ABC Tales. For example, this is Ewan Lawrie's page on that site:

https://www.abctales.com/user/ewan

Favourite authors and submissions, like we had on the old site, would also be an excellent idea.

Other issues:

1. Could we have our submissions on our profile page, like we did on the old site? So, "posts" directly underneath "about"?

2. Does anybody remember the small archive we had briefly at the bottom of the front page? It was only there for a month or so last year, and I don't see why it was got rid of. This was a fantastic feature which randomly threw up five pieces from the new site's archive, with short teasers, every time you refreshed the front page. It was a good way to remember older, perhaps buried, pieces.

Here is an example of it from the Wayback Machine, the only page I can find which shows what I mean:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190630022229/https://ukauthors.com/

There it is at the bottom of the page, titled "From the UKArchives". Brilliant feature. (Do try to avoid looking at the top half of the page if at all possible).

By the way, whatever happened to the maroon? Why did it go? The maroon was bloody lovely, boyos.

So then. We should get on with expanding our user base. Perhaps emails could be sent to everybody on the old site, to remind them that we still exist and are redeveloping?

I have been active on other writing websites in recent months, where there are some good people. I am currently in the process of inviting them over to UKA. One of them has already joined, I hope he will start posting soon.

Last night I emailed the Creative Writing Society of my old university (UEA Norwich), encouraging them to use UKA. Hopefully they will reply and stay in contact. I will also contact similar societies attached to other British universities.

Iechyd Da

1) Submissions on a profile page = Yes. I agree. Also, a list of our latest comments received and made (like it was in OLD UKA) 👍 

2) I've just reinstated the 'random' UKArchive which now sits at the bottom of the FrontPage 👍 

3) Maroon is back too. 👍 

thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2020 6:30 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

what happened to the box of future submissions waiting to be published? it could also be good just to mention the names of members who have submitted something for the next publishing day not the titles after all we often change them and it would be good to see all names not just a sample. one day let's hope it will be hundreds of names!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2020 10:49 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Trusted Member Admin
Posted by: @ifyouplease

what happened to the box of future submissions waiting to be published? it could also be good just to mention the names of members who have submitted something for the next publishing day not the titles after all we often change them and it would be good to see all names not just a sample. one day let's hope it will be hundreds of names!

Strangely, I was actually looking for that box to put it back on the front page, but I can't find the damn thing anywhere! I'll keep searching!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2020 10:51 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

Recent posts. would it be better if the title was Recent Works?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2020 10:59 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Reputable Member

you found a box but I can see only my works 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2020 11:01 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Trusted Member Admin

Wasn't the box we were looking for!