No Comments

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I see that the posts today have all 'no comments'  Is this a mistake or do people really not want any comments? If so, it does not encourage anyone to read them. Just saying.

Posted : December 5, 2022 11:31 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Reputable Member

I think there are some gremlins in the system. I spent all day yesterday trying to post a poem, download a media file, save my submission as a draft, and write on the forum to no avail. When I tried to email the webmaster, to tell him of possible glitches, that email address wasn't recognised.

Posted : December 5, 2022 12:02 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

The backend system is pretty broken, to be honest. And it will be hard to fix things (mainly because I don't have the tech knowledge anymore).

I was considering turning the site into a discussion board (forum). Basically removing the site and replacing it with just these forums. Forums that allow members to post their work as normal forum threads as well as standard discussion forums.

thoughts?

Posted : December 5, 2022 4:27 pm
Gothicman
(@gothicman)

Gosh, it feels like the spiral of doom again after yet another promising start! It was working perfectly well for the first few days when I submitted work. Why is the site so unstable? What caused it to suddenly be problematic after several days of working really well? Is it overloading in some way? Can you explain why this happened if nothing was being altered or adjusted? What is needed to get the backend stable? How much would enlisting a Wordpress boffin to fix the problem cost?

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Gothicman

Posted : December 5, 2022 5:03 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Well, I've literally done nothing to the system in the last weeks so it can't have been my faffing with things that broke them!

Posted : December 5, 2022 7:08 pm
Gothicman
(@gothicman)

No, no need to despair, all complicated sites seem to have blips occasionally even if the platform of the programme should remain basically stable, remain constant (assuming there's nothing in conflict re. the commands)? I did have trouble early this afternoon with accessing to both the site and later when clicking work in order to comment on it. But all became accesible again after a short time (a few minutes or so). It is off-putting though, especially as it takes time to upload work. The less-technical will think it's their own fault instead. It's not while it's regularly automatically backing-up that's causing ongoing site activity to become temporarily compromised? Would it be worth getting a Wordpress freelancer to check over your set-up, a one off operation?

Posted : December 5, 2022 8:48 pm
jay12
(@jay12)
Eminent Member

Could the site have been installing updates? Just a thought. I hope the site doesn't disappear. 

Posted : December 6, 2022 2:32 am
jay12
(@jay12)
Eminent Member

Might this help? 

https://yoast.com/wordpress-site-health/

Posted : December 6, 2022 2:35 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Reputable Member

It is a very useful suggestion, Jay. 👍 

Posted : December 6, 2022 9:39 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Reputable Member

I keep receiving emails about word press online beginners courses. At my age (87) I am too old to embark on this venture;  I wouldn't know where to begin. Is there anyone among our members who has enough knowledge of WP and is willing to assist in repairing this half-floating ship? Running the site help that Jay mentioned may give some hints at what needs to be done.

Posted : December 7, 2022 4:13 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I wish I had something helpful to suggest. 🙄 

Posted : December 14, 2022 11:06 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Reputable Member

I think we have to make the best of what we've got. Could we use the music quiz again or think of something to make this an attractive zine? Jay's interviews of new members might appeal; not many people give biographical information on their user's page. 🙁 

Posted : December 14, 2022 9:51 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thats a great idea Luigi. Interviews of new members was a great way to get to know people and really helps to make a site cohesive. 
If Jay can offer this it would be good and I would really encourage people to put a bit about themselves on their bio page. We do not need to know your life story but some info makes the site more of an online community.  😎 

Posted : December 18, 2022 4:36 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Reputable Member

Due to a bereavement in the family, I shall be absent from these pages for a while, dear friends.

Posted : December 18, 2022 8:05 pm
Share: