Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Nibs

9 Posts
6 Users
5 Likes
352 Views
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
Topic starter
 

As things have changed so much over the last few years, so have the number of 'nibbers' by all accounts. To be clear, I was never privy to who else were nibbers. It was considered best to be anonymous due to the risk of people accusing us of favouritism etc.

I now know that several are no longer with us and I hoped they would be replaced, as I feel it is a great encouragement to post and see one's work appreciated in this way. 

Everything is a bit nebulous as things stand. I have never admitted to being one but then people started thanking me, as it seemed that only I was awarding them and that made me feel very uncomfortable. 😕 

I am glad to see Franciman is back, as like so many others, he was busy elsewhere with other projects. I did ask a couple of people to consider it but it IS a commitment in time and energy.

We need another moderator's getting together to see the way forward. Many really talented poets have gone on to pastures new and that is a real loss as they would have been valuable contributors.

I also see that previously banned members have returned. I have no say whatsoever in that but to be transparent I have to say I cannot read them due to what happened in the past.

I could  not bear a repetition of those times as I want the site to thrive.

What say you?

 
Posted : January 28, 2023 3:06 pm
Gothicman
(@gothicman)
Posts: 16
Active Member
 

I would echo the need, at least if the site picks up, for some active and objective 'nibbers' for both poetry and prose, as it does encourage contributors, as well as increasing the level of inclusiveness. 

As it's been brought up, I would like to add also, that I've never been banned from this, or any other writing site, only inadvertently had my membership deleted. On this site, once by e-griff, (Richard kindly managed to retrieve most of my work though I lost all comments including in the Forum), and once by my very own hand, panicking after Disqus suddenly compromised (set off a security stop) my link with four authorities (from working days; there's a Wiki page somewhere about how Disqus particularly affected security in Sweden). I left this site two years myself when a politically-based poem (Sturgeon critical) was not allowed to be resubmitted after it was taken off because of the abuse it had received in the comments section, which is probably its intended purpose. Moderation too, can be too partisan, or unnecessarily prominent and suppressing, it should be kept to a minimum. Keeping advocacy over our own lives and opinions is being eroded more and more these days. I'm always polite and respectful, initially, and when it's reciprocated, and never bear a grudge. Life's too short for that.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Gothicman
 
Posted : January 28, 2023 10:52 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
 

UPDATE ON NIBS (PICKS) July 8th '23

Every UKA member now has the facility/ability to choose which submissions get to be awarded UKA PICKS!

There's a new system in place for UKA PICKS (nibs if you want to call them that!)

PICKS/NIBS voting can only be done by registered & logged in members of UKA

When a member is logged in they will see a box in the right side column (of a submission's page) called 'Pick this'

There's a button to click if they feel the submission warrents a UKA Pick/Nib

If you click to 'pick this' it will register YOUR vote for that submission.

The button will change to 'Thanks!' and then...

The button displayed (for you) on page refresh you will change to 'You Have Already Picked this!' and it won't let you pick it again.

When a submission gets enough votes it will then be set to a 'UKA Pick'.

So remember:

your click to 'Pick this' will not turn the submission into a UKA Pick, it will simply go toward the count. When enough votes have been registered then the submission will earn a 'UKA Pick' and be listed on the picks page with a UKA PICK button displayed next to the title.

👍

 
Posted : July 8, 2023 3:00 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

seems cool, don't reveal how many votes make a piece nibworthy. it must remain unknown. once it becomes a nibworthy piece then editors of this site could vote it and their profile pics appear little ones you know once all editors have voted and WROTE why they like or dislike a piece then it gets nibbed regardless with a golden nib. the pieces however that are strictly coming from an editor could be platinum. if you are going to keep ratings then the silver nib are for those pieces that got many five stars during the first week of their publication. alternatively a permanent invisible nib of three precious metals in one can appear on any piece that is invisible too on any Monday or Friday after the end of the world,  right? right?

This post was modified 9 months ago 2 times by ifyouplease
 
Posted : July 8, 2023 11:24 pm
ukadmin reacted
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
 

Yep. Those are good suggestions to consider.

Thanks

👍

 

Posted by: @ifyouplease

seems cool, don't reveal how many votes make a piece nibworthy. it must remain unknown. once it becomes a nibworthy piece then editors of this site could vote it and their profile pics appear little ones you know once all editors have voted and WROTE why they like or dislike a piece then it gets nibbed regardless with a golden nib. the pieces however that are strictly coming from an editor could be platinum. if you are going to keep ratings then the silver nib are for those pieces that got many five stars during the first week of their publication. alternatively a permanent invisible nib of three precious metals in one can appear on any piece that is invisible too on any Monday or Friday after the end of the world,  right? right?

 

 
Posted : July 9, 2023 1:31 am
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
Topic starter
 

Sorry taken me so long to contribute. My Ragdoll house cat escaped onto the road beside where I stay here in the country and I fell into a deep ditch trying to rescue him. 😐 Then I kept falling back into the ditch as did not have the strength to climb out 😕 this caused a massive flare up in my fibro so been in my bed all week. 😫

I think the idea of people voting for a nib is excellent. An improvement that gives contributers the chance to have their say and the final award by a combination of several things. 😎  

Yes, good idea.

 
Posted : July 10, 2023 12:21 pm
ukadmin reacted
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 

Can an author pick his/her own work? It would seem so but in the past it was not allowed.

 
Posted : July 12, 2023 10:30 am
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
 

The button will let anyone pick any submission. But If the author of the submission uses it it will be ignored. Only logged in members can see and use it and only one click per member is registered per submission. And author clicks are ignored. 

 
Posted : July 12, 2023 10:44 am
ionicus reacted
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Posts: 74
Trusted Member
 

Really good idea, Richard. I like! 

 
Posted : July 14, 2023 5:30 am
ukadmin and ionicus reacted
Share: