Forum

New work front page
 
Notifications
Clear all

New work front page

25 Posts
10 Users
9 Likes
740 Views
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
Topic starter
 

Oh dear oh dear.

What incentive is there to post if new work is not displayed on front page?

I see to my dismay that the front page is covered with work going back to 2006 and the four new poems are buried out of site.

Maybe they go on a roll as the poem was by Egriff .

On looking again they are not quite so old but all new work needs to be front page or what's the point?

That is hopeless 🙄

 
Posted : December 13, 2021 10:04 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 

The problem is that we are working in the dark, Alison. I assumed that since we could access the site, it had been updated. It doesn't seem the case and in fact, it looks to have lost some of its previous features. Maybe we are not meant to be using it yet but without a newsletter from the administrator, I am none the wiser.  Has anyone thought to contact Richard or Andrea? I shall Richard for clarification. Perhaps others should do the same in case my message goes astray.

 
Posted : December 13, 2021 1:55 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
Topic starter
 

Yes, I am thoroughly confused. I hope to find time to comment later but had my grandson at the weekend and the whole house is in disarray. Until there is clarification as you suggest I have nothing more to add to the site. I stayed up late last night when I was exhausted to post two poems to show willing. I admit I am a bit pissed  miffed this morning. 

I am trying to contact Steve. He and I have been in communication but have not had a chance to discuss this in any depth.

Anyway, must get on...washing, ironing and hoover beckons. {blue}:serious:  

 
Posted : December 13, 2021 2:05 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Posts: 56
Trusted Member
 

When I checked the site just over a week ago, there was a link that said CLICK HERE on the front page and a message to say that there would need to be a new webmaster. That message has gone now, so I don't know if the situation has changed. 

 
Posted : December 13, 2021 2:36 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
 

The front page is showing random submissions from the entirety of UKA archives. The LATEST submissions are in a link across the top. UKA was going to remain closed until a new webmaster could be found and was able to fix and admin the site but Andrea wanted it to be reactivated. So I reactivated the site but it is not fully functional and I have had to switch off scheduled submissions as the plugin is broken. So submissions are instant and are listed in the Latest published page (link in nav bar at the top).

The front page random submissions allow submissions to be seen and read that would otherwise be lost in the archives and never seen. I think it's nice to try to promote archive submissions and get them some more reads/hits/comments/community interaction etc.

For those interested in seeing the latest submissions it is only a single click away!

A newsletter would be pointless given that the site is not fully functioning and in a state of dormancy/flux.

The site needs fixing and a new webmaster needs to be found before anything else.

 
Posted : December 13, 2021 2:42 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
 
Posted by: @gee

When I checked the site just over a week ago, there was a link that said CLICK HERE on the front page and a message to say that there would need to be a new webmaster. That message has gone now, so I don't know if the situation has changed. 

I removed the thread. A new webmaster is sought but until Andrea has found one then the site will remain like this. 

 
Posted : December 13, 2021 3:07 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
Topic starter
 

Ah righto! I am obviously so far out of the picture I was not aware. I do agree with you Richard. The sight needs a very inspirational webmaster but they cost money. I can sense your frustration and I understand. I, too, think archives should rotate as there were many gems.

I still feel all new posts should be on the front page though without a doubt but I take on board you are no longer able to work with the system if it is outdated.
It is a sad situation but it is not without hope. 

Surely somebody knows somebody who would enjoy a challenge? (she says hopefully) 💡 :beg: :silly:  

 
Posted : December 13, 2021 3:12 pm
Guaj
 Guaj
(@guaj)
Posts: 916
Prominent Member
 

To avoid watching Xmas blurb on TV I read through one of my old stories about a Café that showed up on the front page.

I had forgotten about the lengthy comments that followed it and how useful they were in improving my piece. Steve's and Nicoletta's gentle but honest criticism was very useful. To me this was one of the best aspects of UKA when it was running well. Far better than the 'cap doffing' admiration of most other writing sites. 

UKA will be missed. It's such a shame to see it withering away like this. {blue}:crying:  

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Guaj
 
Posted : December 25, 2021 12:13 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 

@guaj 

agreed but at least you can interact on some other websites and I think it is up to individual readers to express their honest opinion of what they read. Sometimes, though, tastes differ and what I may consider not to be worthy of praise might be thought a brilliant piece of writing by others. My own judgment is based first of all on whether its meaning is clear enough for me to understand the piece. If it doesn't meet this main criterion, I do not offer any comment. 
We can regret what was good about this site but must also remember its many deficiencies. What good is this Marie Celeste now? 
Anyway, enough of my griping. Happy Christmas to all the UKA's members whether they are present virtually or simply in spirit.

 
Posted : December 25, 2021 2:16 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

........

This post was modified 2 years ago by ifyouplease
 
Posted : December 26, 2021 4:17 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

............

This post was modified 2 years ago by ifyouplease
 
Posted : January 9, 2022 4:05 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 

@ifyouplease 

I'm afraid we haven't got cause for optimism. The last we heard from Richard was; The site needs fixing and a new webmaster needs to be found before anything else. As far as I can see this has not happened yet and no progress has been mentioned on that score. The site is usable in its current structure. Submissions can now be posted daily if we so choose but appear only in the 'latest' list but not on the front page, comments and replies are possible but not recorded,  'pickers', if they are still around, can 'nib' pieces but they are not shown in the editor's picks.  As a last resort, it is feasible to use it in a limited way. Any relevant notification could be done via the forum. Is it worth trying to keep it going?

 
Posted : January 10, 2022 4:31 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

no it is not, Luigi, but I am willing to wait and check on and off without submitting new work or opening comments or even commenting......

This post was modified 2 years ago by ifyouplease
 
Posted : January 10, 2022 6:21 pm
Guaj
 Guaj
(@guaj)
Posts: 916
Prominent Member
 

Not sure what you mean by a deadline, but I hope it's nothing serious. If the site manages to get out of reverse gear I hope you will still be around. I haven't been doing much scribbling. Over Christmas the BBC showed Blade Runner 2049. Having seen the original on Netflix I decide to get hold of a copy of Philip Dick's book. I'm going through it slowly (between dog walks and shopping). Amazing how different (and more interesting) it is.

Have fun

Charlie

This post was modified 2 years ago by Guaj
 
Posted : January 12, 2022 11:58 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

..

 

This post was modified 2 years ago by ifyouplease
 
Posted : January 12, 2022 2:20 pm
stormwolf reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: