Lack of comments

38 Posts
7 Users
9 Likes
stevef
(@stevef)
Reputable Member

You've got a big heart, Gee. 🙂

UKA probably wouldn't still be here without you. 

Posted : November 12, 2020 8:18 pm
Guaj
 Guaj
(@guaj)
Prominent Member

I tried an experiment this morning. I clicked on a couple of posts without logging in and the number of 'reads' increased. I noticed if a tapped several times on a post before it come on screen the 'reads' go up by the number of taps/clicks. It's pointless calling them reads. They are hits. Most sites do the same it seems. It means virtually nothing unless it encourages a member to log on and comment.

Comments (not replies) are the only indication of how well a piece is liked or read. Also I agree with Steve on replies. Not acknowledging comments is a tad rude IMO. I've not noticed it on this site though. I've have seen this on sites with more members and when someone posts a piece that gets loads of comments. If one is overloaded with comments and doesn't have time to make detailed individual replies he/she should at least offer a general reply to all those who commented. Of course you do get the occasional tit who thinks he's too good to bother to reply to inferior writers, but fortunately they are rare. 

Over the years I've learned a hell of a lot about fiction and poetry writing from helpful commenting. Even now recent comments like Steve's, Bhi's and Nicoletta's have brought my writing back in line after getting a little lazy. This is so valuable in helping writers maintain their interest. 

Steve, I hope there is not too much passive voice in this. {blue}:wink:  

Posted : November 13, 2020 9:44 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

deviantart doesn't allow it, hits by the same IP are impossible. you have to change IP and you can add just one more hit. It is rather disheartening for an author to have pieces with fifteen reads and two comments. even if he had fifteen comments and fifteen reads it really would not help him understand anything about the impact of his work. because these fifteen people may have returned 15 times each 

logic says we are okay as we are here. for primarily psychological reasons authors have the reads/hits they need and not the crazy hits on other sites where bots thrive.

Posted : November 13, 2020 10:02 am
Guaj
 Guaj
(@guaj)
Prominent Member

@ifyouplease

I wasn't hitting on my posts, I was just checking what happens when I clip on a post without logging in, Nic. Also I just noticed the hits are called views on here. That is at least a better description.

Not sure what you mean in your last para. 

Posted : November 13, 2020 10:09 am
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

I felt miserable on deviantart, five reads one comment for days if you are lucky, you don't want that to happen here. 

Posted : November 13, 2020 10:12 am
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

@stevef Hey Steve, I could not agree more.. {pear}:wink:  

However, we have to bear in mind that sometimes people do not respond for very good reasons. I remember once being a bit miffed at someone who never responded to my comment then it transpired that she was not well and had never signed herself out. So to sensitive me...it looked like she was on all the time and ignoring me. {blue}:displeased:  

So I grasped the nettle in private and she explained and I felt so bad. That dear lady is now passed over.
She was a stalwart and I was hurt unnecessarily.

Now I try to give people time and I sincerely hope if any comments on my pieces go unanswered, they may make allowances for the fact I am finding this whole world scenario very hard to deal with and some days I just long to hibernate. {blackemo}:anguished:

Having said all that for the benefit of new members, I totally agree that those who take the time and effort to read and comment, should in all manner of fairness, not only reply but also do the decent thing (IMHO) and read and comment back. If they do not feel able to do it right away, they should wait for the opportune time to repay the blessing.

I remember in prose, David giving really in depth crit which was totally stone walled or disputed and I wondered why he  bothered. In the end, he did not. {blackemo}:wink:  

Posted : November 14, 2020 1:35 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Reputable Member

Alison's right, Dave's (Sirat) comments/crits were pretty much on the nail in my opinion. He was definitely a UKA cornerstone and I valued his thoughts when I used to submit. Likewise with egriff although some occasionally took exception to his approach. The sadly-missed Roy Bateman always used to send comments by PM as well as on the sub.

It might be nice to start a thread on missing and passed members. Mike Green, Wee Fat Fella, Bluepootle, Steve Geezer, Discopants, Rupe, Claire and Romany spring to mind, there were quite a few other well-knowns.

Posted : November 14, 2020 1:58 pm
stormwolf reacted
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Trusted Member

@stevef

UKA is a good place full of good people. We're a family, of sorts, and I like belonging to it. 

Posted : November 16, 2020 7:38 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

@stevef

perhaps it would be nice to start a thread on new members to ask them to tell us about themselves as at the moment there is a great number who have not added any information to their profile yet. They could be asked what they think of the site, anything else they'd like to see. etc., etc.

Posted : November 19, 2020 5:53 pm
stormwolf reacted
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

I think this is an excellent idea. I was thinking along these lines myself.

It really does help to get to know everyone and to gel as a site.

I am sure everyone has something interesting to say. 🙂  

Posted : November 19, 2020 6:16 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Reputable Member

Go for it, Alison - you're better looking by far! 😎 

Posted : November 19, 2020 7:04 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

@stevef Well, at my stage in the game, flattery will get you anywhere. 🤣 🤣 😎 

Posted : November 21, 2020 4:22 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Reputable Member

Hooray! Alison to start the thread. 👍 (If I were you I'd leave your skeletons rattling in the closet though... 😮)  

Posted : November 21, 2020 4:56 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

@ canna get the door shut these days 😐 😒 😒 

Posted : November 21, 2020 5:24 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Reputable Member

Take some of the empty wine bottles out of the way then. 😆 

Posted : November 21, 2020 11:30 pm
Page 2 / 3