Forum

How to get UKA back...
 
Notifications
Clear all

How to get UKA back on top?

96 Posts
9 Users
51 Likes
1,630 Views
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 555
Estimable Member
 

You really don't think that a good advertizing trick would not bring new members? That using another platform, not a youtube forum here, but creating a channel on youtube and have somebody representing uka over there, with shows and lives and premieres and discussions and everything wouldn't bring a single person here?

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 10:04 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 555
Estimable Member
 

Gee may I ask if what you say here is about me and the video problem

 

Stop arguing on the forum. It puts people off. 

 

I am not arguing, I am just talking with the admin since I found him hope he is well that you are well and I'm a bit excited because I have an idea and was going to use my channel for this reason. I spend time doing all these. This is my time you know and I mean well.

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 10:08 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Posts: 56
Trusted Member
 
Posted by: @ifyouplease

You really don't think that a good advertizing trick would not bring new members? That using another platform, not a youtube forum here, but creating a channel on youtube and have somebody representing uka over there, with shows and lives and premieres and discussions and everything wouldn't bring a single person here?

Ok, I misunderstood. So your idea is to create a channel on youtube? I don't know if it would work because it hasn't been tried. If you wanted to try it, it's worth a go. What kind of videos would you put on there?

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 10:13 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Posts: 56
Trusted Member
 
Posted by: @ifyouplease

Gee may I ask if what you say here is about me and the video problem

 

Stop arguing on the forum. It puts people off. 

 

I am not arguing, I am just talking with the admin since I found him hope he is well that you are well and I'm a bit excited because I have an idea and was going to use my channel for this reason. I spend time doing all these. This is my time you know and I mean well.

Nothing at all to do with you, Nic. I'm referring to what's happened in the past on the forums. 

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 10:14 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 555
Estimable Member
 

My idea is to choose someone like you Alison or Griffoner but he or she has to like doing it and has no problem showing his/her face.

He or She can become something like a news presenter. 

Talk about the workshops the new ones we may have and members can join the live chats on youtube and he/she can invite people from uka big names whatever and interview them, he can show the new submissions the nibs talk with the author of the month for example he could use just a photo etc.

 

it's like a channel. and it's a great idea and lucky will be the writers site that will use it first.

🌹

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 10:18 pm
stormwolf and gee reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 555
Estimable Member
 

I plan to reupload some videos and ideas of mine create a dozen of playlists, I cannot do it for uka, because I am not a native speaker mainly and lives I cannot do them without using incorrectly your language (I would not be reading from a script it would be very interactive). 

My channel will be focused on other things, statements, in Greek and in English perhaps and other ideas such as comedy stuff like that, even philosophy.

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 10:29 pm
gee reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 555
Estimable Member
 

just searched if there is a literature channel this came up

 

https://www.youtube.com/user/TataLiteratureLive

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 10:32 pm
gee reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 555
Estimable Member
 

and here is a live they did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ERe-_YpKs

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 10:34 pm
gee reacted
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Posts: 56
Trusted Member
 
Posted by: @ifyouplease

My idea is to choose someone like you Alison or Griffoner but he or she has to like doing it and has no problem showing his/her face.

He or She can become something like a news presenter. 

Talk about the workshops the new ones we may have and members can join the live chats on youtube and he/she can invite people from uka big names whatever and interview them, he can show the new submissions the nibs talk with the author of the month for example he could use just a photo etc.

 

it's like a channel. and it's a great idea and lucky will be the writers site that will use it first.

🌹

That's worth a try, I think. I'm not up for doing it, unfortunately, but it sounds interesting. I've had a look at your other posts and anything that brings in new people should be considered. I wish you good luck with your channel too. 
If it helps, I can post about UKA on twitter. I have some followers on there who write, if that helps at all. 

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 11:02 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 
Posted by: @ukadmin

I feel we need a couple of site editors to pretty much do what Andrea did.

Agree that the site needs more editors but what would they have to do? What was Andrea's role?

 
Posted : June 18, 2021 10:54 am
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter
 
Posted by: @ionicus
Posted by: @ukadmin

I feel we need a couple of site editors to pretty much do what Andrea did.

Agree that the site needs more editors but what would they have to do? What was Andrea's role?

Drumming up interest, sending Newsletters, creating challenges, sorting out WOTM, keeping the FP fresh, encouraging commenting and forum interactions. Stuff like that. Maybe writing some UKA related articles. Promoting via social media. Highlighting member publications, websites, successes. 

 
Posted : June 18, 2021 12:37 pm
stormwolf reacted
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
 

Okay. I have read all the comments with great interest. I feel that threads have a tendency to go off focus and that has to be addressed. 

I really, really think we need to totally re-evaluate the site but I must be brutally honest here too. I feel the site has fallen behind in many ways with numerous glitches that have been reported but never really remedied. 😐 

Richard, I want you to know that I consider you a very hard-working, calm and steadfast valuable member of admin. I cannot think how often you have tried to accommodate various suggestions, with stoicism and good humour... but the truth is that we shall not (IMHO) attract  new members unless we have a spring clean and that means making firm decisions, agreed by all or most and that we DO need the extra work that you say you recognise is needed but you cannot do it.

I have suggested in the past contributing financially even a wee bit to getting someone in who will take this weight off your shoulders.

I certainly do not want you to feel I am demeaning you in any way...but you are just one man and perhaps we need a whiz kid who is totally aware of all the issues we have been suggesting that could implement them. I do not see many new members being attracted to a site that they find hard to navigate or encounter many little problems in posting. We need to sail a tight ship but be welcoming and helpful to every suggestion brought forth.

I see people joining all enthusiastic and starting of like a bull at a gate, only to slowly become disenchanted and drift off. As you so rightly imply, this site has weathered many storms and I feel deserves the kiss of life by whatever means we can find. I wish I was more PC savvy but alas I am not. 😒 

I conquered my dislike of hearing my voice reciting poems because I wanted any post to be a multi-sensory project and for the words to come over as I hoped. Some purists used to say that about me when I first started posting pics to illustrate my poems.

They said a poem should be good enough to stand in its own merit without anything else. Now almost everyone uses pictures to illustrate their work to great effect in my eyes.

We should there for encourage people to either recite their work and maybe even give helpful crit on the skill of recitation? 😲 I suppose some will balk at that but so be it. It is just a suggestion to make the site more interactive. My webmaster has been asking me for years to make videos for my own website. She told me repeatedly it was the way to go and to keep up with the times. I know she is right and perhaps I will brace myself and start doing that there.

I have resisted this because I feel too vulnerable but hey! once we got into the swing of it, it could take off. So Nic's desire to be able to add videos swiftly and easily would be very useful.

Just think if we had a page of new submissions...some written only, some recited and some videoed as would be expected at any poetry meeting.

Have a sister spin off site of the best work on UKA would be, as suggested, another great way to encourage people to post and to really go over their work with a fine tooth comb beforehand. In the past, some post carelessly finished work and that does nobody any favours. Nobody likes pointing out typos etc but really, if we take a pride in our work then typos would become a rarity. 

At poetry evenings people are expected to recite their work. Why not here?

I know there are so many novel ways of presenting the content of a website that makes work stand out and attracts an audience and quite honestly, in this we are failing in spite of Richard's hard work. We need up to the minute web design and someone who has the vision to bring it to fruition. Whether we stalwarts like it or not things are changing at an amazing rate and we either keep up to date, or become dusty, boring and unappetising.😒

I am also all for a category of recommended work where anyone is free to recommend a good piece of work to all others on the site and readers. Nibbers do not always get it right and some, as far as I can see, are no longer here or maybe even alive? I mean, how is that beneficial to anyone? 🤦‍♀️

 

I welcome Mandrake's generous offer to re-start the Voices from the Web. I wish we could have a zoom conference open to everyone or maybe, in the first instances, open to just a few so as to all be singing more or less from the same hymn book.

NOTHING is less motivating than for a member (old or new) to feel they are not being acknowledged and may as well fart in the wind, so to speak.   {pear}:wink:  

I welcome feedback on what I have written. It is only brainstorming, so you can leave the rotten tomatoes be for the time being.

 
Posted : June 18, 2021 1:40 pm
gee
 gee
(@gee)
Posts: 56
Trusted Member
 

Regarding the youtube channel that Nic suggested we set up, I wondered if that would be for one of the site members to run? Or, if we are thinking of paying someone to do the extra site work, would that be something for them to do too? I suppose it might be good to have some idea of cost so we could see how much we would need to raise.

 
Posted : June 18, 2021 2:07 pm
stormwolf reacted
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter
 

I agree, entirely.

Firstly we need:

some decent funds to get a programmer/scripter to fix the areas of the site that are causing problems.

Once the site is fixed:

A proactive, reliable and trusted group of moderators/editors with proper backend knowledge and access.

The rest would follow.

 
Posted : June 18, 2021 2:46 pm
stormwolf reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 555
Estimable Member
 

if someone sets up a channel we at least the old members will be excited for his/her first premiere

 

he /she could say something like the following"

Hello world, this one of the publishing days of Ukauthors a site I use since 2001, publishing new articles every monday and friday
There were twenty brand new submissions this week only and some of them got what we call nibs, they were selected by the editors as top quality writings
Let's see them all quickly and let's check how the site which is one of my favorite works!
a two window screen shows the speaker on the right the site on the left and doing all the surfing on uka.
shows what is new in various areas
the new workshops the new challenges hot topics

please susbcribe to our channel follow us on twitter there are links in the short description and join our community which is dedicated to good writing and team spirit etc
make sure to be back for our next publishing day presentation a premiere you shouldn't miss!! tada
etc etc.

 

I don't have programs to do it but it's easy to find a nice program for your youtube studio

 

here is the Space Walk by Silent Partner, the Youtube Premiere Countdown music

 

there is a live chat on the right. it can be live too!

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u8sDVohPTw

 
Posted : June 18, 2021 3:23 pm
Page 3 / 7
Share: