Forum

How to get UKA back...
 
Notifications
Clear all

How to get UKA back on top?

96 Posts
9 Users
51 Likes
1,879 Views
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter
 

How can we get UKA back to the good old days when it was a fun, vibrant and popular writers' community?

I know that since Andrea took a back step and I have stopped coding and updating the site we have fallen into the doldrums and suffered a drop in usage. Also many old regulars have sadly departed.

I feel we need a couple of site editors to pretty much do what Andrea did.

We also need to get back to tweaking the site bells and whistles and to add/update/change the tools and features that users/members need to make site usage and interactivity more intuitive and pleasurable. But I can't do this anymore. I can and will pay a coder/scripter to create the things we need but I think we first need to rebuild popularity and get members/users/hits back up to a more healthy level.

 

I think UKA has a huge advantage of being possibly one of the longest active writing communities on the internet (20 years+) and with a bit of effort, we could get back to where we were a few years ago.

 

thoughts?

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 5:31 pm
stormwolf and gee reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

I'm afraid nothing can be done without

a) an exorcist who can exorcize in the name of a non archontic benevolent deity

 

b) the slaughtering of pistacios

 

b) caramelomancy

 

( I cunningly avoided c by repeating b so as not to reveal all three extremely powerful ways to bring back uka's mojo...)

 

 

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 5:49 pm
griffonner
(@griffonner)
Posts: 55
Trusted Member
 

I think it is extremely difficult to know the answer to the question of failing popularity!

Forums as a genus have been closing down for lack of support for quite a long time: Primarily since social media became so popular. If there were an easy answer to that problem we would have known it by now! Nevertheless UKA is in that niche where it should be able to survive. I know of only one non-writing forum that I have belonged to since the very mid 90's which has survived, but there are, as we know, a fair number of writing forums still operating.

Is it that we must ask ourselves what encourages the stalwart members to stay?  What might make others stay?

I notice that all the ideas that have been brought forward recently (not necessarily recognising the situation in the light of how you now describe it) are all going back to things that used to be on the site: Anthology as an example. Thankfully someone has offered fantastic help on bringing that back. Has it yet been agreed how that will actually operate?

Personally, I remain a member because of the people who are on contributors to the site.  If it weren't for them, I might have been tempted to go elsewhere.  But what would I get elsewhere? Cherries? They are no temptation to me. However, I can see that reward for contributing might be beneficial.

I don't know who awards the 'picks' but I do see, this week, that we are tonight on the eve of a new set of submissions hitting the landing page tomorrow morning, and there are no picks for any of the pieces published  on Monday.  Okay, so maybe none of the contributions put forward on the 14th were worthy of it... but no-one knows that.  And if there were none worthy of a pick, could there not be a lesser award, say, just, 'commended' or if you like given the golden apple(!!!)? 

IMHO People write to be read. Writers get the greatest pleasure from knowing how their work is perceived - both by their peers and by the general public. I certainly do.  What about allowing the general non-member visitor from saying something? Even if it is going back to the old points system - giving points out of ten: That would be 'safe' if we were to be worried about non-members abusing a comment system.  (IP identification could be used to prevent repeated voting from the same IP address at least.)

As I usually say: Just my two pennyworth.

 

Edited because I got my dates wrong!

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 7:58 pm
stormwolf and gee reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

good points!

 

I would like to ask a question, why can't I have a video included in a submission of mine, all I get is a link..

and I wonder if I can do it here too? let's check

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZtmoL3PtTk

 

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 8:40 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

oh here it appears.. hmm okay we need more free spirit you know free and funny and festivious, the three F.

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 8:42 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter
 

Maybe it's time to totally re-think the way UKA delivers the writing of its members?

Maybe UKA should present itself as an online literary magazine-style format? A 'spin-off' website that publishes carefully selected writing (poetry, short fiction & 'first chapters') from the MAIN UKA website?

It might create the incentive needed to attract new members and more involvement in UKAuthors.

If the NEW (spin-off) website was marketed and run as a prestigious and high-quality online publication, it could help turn UKA around?

 

 

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 8:47 pm
stormwolf and gee reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

and I don't know about you, but during very difficult times challenges helped, so what happened to those discussions? are they gone? kept? can they be revived? I also think that youtube's platform should be used and there could be "lives" and "premieres" let's do something innovative, let's have a fresh look at promoting UKA.

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 8:48 pm
stormwolf reacted
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter
 
Posted by: @ifyouplease

good points!

 

I would like to ask a question, why can't I have a video included in a submission of mine, all I get is a link..

and I wonder if I can do it here too? let's check

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZtmoL3PtTk

 

Nic

On the submit page, look for this icon:

Click on it and paste the EMBED code from Youtube:

that will put the video into your submission.

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 8:51 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

tried to embed the other day but I got the code, just that

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 8:56 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

I will try again, talking is good for public relations, and keep talking

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 8:57 pm
stormwolf reacted
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter
 
Posted by: @ifyouplease

tried to embed the other day but I got the code, just that

Here's a page I just created to show that it does work:

LINK

 

Make sure you paste the embed code in the right place, ie, here:

 

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 9:01 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

just did it but although it appeared as soon as I updated and clicked to view the submission I got nothing, it's not there {blue}:tears:  

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 9:04 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

is it because of the video being a premiere? why? it appears here.  (that's me btw a statement and other statements later)

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 9:13 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Posts: 208
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter
 
Posted by: @ifyouplease

is it because of the video being a premiere? why? it appears here.  (that's me btw a statement and other statements later)

What's the link?

I'll try

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 9:15 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 556
Estimable Member
 

h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZtmoL3PtTk

 

asterisks to be replaced with tt

 
Posted : June 17, 2021 9:17 pm
Page 1 / 7
Share: