Honorable Member
Topic starter

Let's see where things take us now! 😜 

Posted : September 20, 2020 5:55 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

indeed. some ideas 

do we need comment's stream (or comment stream) and the box of latest comments can it show only the most recent comment on a submission not all recent comments? that way you can have ten recent comments on ten different submissions.

uka stream could be better, it could contain any recent comments forums posts just the link or tweets etc just a link, a proper stream of all recent activity.

Posted : September 21, 2020 11:48 am
ukadmin and belcanto reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

and there seems to be a problem when you try to publish, it says select a category but there are two hiding options 

Posted : September 21, 2020 12:09 pm
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @ifyouplease

do we need comment's stream (or comment stream) and the box of latest comments can it show only the most recent comment on a submission not all recent comments? that way you can have ten recent comments on ten different submissions.

uka stream could be better, it could contain any recent comments forums posts just the link or tweets etc just a link, a proper stream of all recent activity.

Do I agree with this comment. Thanks iyp!  Always thought the comments stream was totally intrusive and a space gobbler, but much worse it is so counterproductive to promoting an author's work because you can read all comments in FULL without EVER setting eyes on the actual poetry or prose.  It takes another click to get to that!  Used to be we saw only a short line or the first few words of a comment and the click on THOSE took us to the piece. 

Posted : September 21, 2020 2:05 pm
ifyouplease reacted
belcanto
(@belcanto)
Trusted Member

Won't the moderators chosen for the forum creation agree to be moderators here too? In my opinion you need many more as well who, between themselves and the chief moderator(still Jim I hope), can agree to some sort of rotating daily schedule so that the site is covered at all times. After all, members and administrators are COUNTRIES and TIME zones apart! As the situation is, currently, on the forum site, inappropriate commentary or nasty arguments can appear HOURS before any moderator catches what's going on. Yes, it's way too much for any moderator to cover the whole site, and having them watch over one area, like poetry, is good but you'll need more than ONE person overseeing poetry for the reasons I've already mentioned.  How can anyone be available 24/7 - even if we all lived within 10 miles of each other!    

Posted : September 21, 2020 2:47 pm
Elfstone reacted
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

indeed. some ideas 

I'll have a go at creating something like that... A recent activity stream.

thanks

Posted : September 21, 2020 5:21 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

and there seems to be a problem when you try to publish, it says select a category but there are two hiding options 

Can you post a screenshot/screengrab of what you can see on your submission page?

thanks

Posted : September 21, 2020 5:22 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: @belcanto

Won't the moderators chosen for the forum creation agree to be moderators here too? In my opinion you need many more as well who, between themselves and the chief moderator(still Jim I hope), can agree to some sort of rotating daily schedule so that the site is covered at all times. After all, members and administrators are COUNTRIES and TIME zones apart! As the situation is, currently, on the forum site, inappropriate commentary or nasty arguments can appear HOURS before any moderator catches what's going on. Yes, it's way too much for any moderator to cover the whole site, and having them watch over one area, like poetry, is good but you'll need more than ONE person overseeing poetry for the reasons I've already mentioned.  How can anyone be available 24/7 - even if we all lived within 10 miles of each other!    

Yep, Waiting for the rush of volunteers! {blue}:grinning:  

Posted : September 21, 2020 5:23 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Reputable Member

• I am afraid this seems all too rushed.😬😕  I have no idea what I am meant to be doing. We seem to have lost our new forum profiles and have lots of outdated stuff littering up everywhere while losing recent work.

I thought all this was not happening until next year and while I am happy to see the return to twice weekly posting it all seems to be a bit jumbled up to me. 😒🥺

I'm totally lost.

Sorry to be less than enthusiastic {blue}:formalsmile:

Posted : September 21, 2020 6:43 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

the forums exist

https://forums.ukauthors.com/

perhaps add a link somewhere so that people are not confused?

Posted : September 21, 2020 7:12 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

I managed to publish a poem, Admin earlier despite the fact the system didn't allow me to save it as draft it automatically, I guess, had saved it, this time when I clicked on publish the system didn't ask me to choose a category first.

Posted : September 21, 2020 7:14 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: @stormwolf
  • I am afraid this seems all too rushed.😬😕  I have no idea what I am meant to be doing. We seem to have lost our new forum profiles and have lots of outdated stuff littering up everywhere while losing recent work.

I thought all this was not happening until next year and while I am happy to see the return to twice weekly posting it all seems to be a bit jumbled up to me. 😒🥺

I'm totally lost.

Sorry to be less than enthusiastic {blue}:formalsmile:

The forums are still intact over at http://forums.ukauthors.com/

This website is basically what we had when we decided to shut shop a few months ago. The 'outdated' stuff is the archives from 2016 - 2020 which I thought should stay.

The recent work is over on the (linked above) forums.

I'm wondering if I should put the whole site into 'under construction' so it's offline until we re-launch next year?

Or simply start using this site again as it is and make the changes over the coming months until an 'official' relaunch?

Posted : September 21, 2020 8:07 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

do what you want, you have a great community and a nice site and you tried and want to try again so those who respect it will behave and help you.

Posted : September 21, 2020 8:15 pm
Elfstone and ukadmin reacted
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Estimable Member

Okay, submitted a story now got the same message can't printscreen sorry

Please select a category before publishing this post.

There are no categories to select, these are gone and the story was automatically saved as draft, went back and published it etc, but the category it automatically got was Non Fiction. I guess the poem also was submitted as Non Fiction.

Posted : September 21, 2020 9:29 pm
ukadmin
(@ukadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

Okay, submitted a story now got the same message can't printscreen sorry

Please select a category before publishing this post.

There are no categories to select, these are gone and the story was automatically saved as draft, went back and published it etc, but the category it automatically got was Non Fiction. I guess the poem also was submitted as Non Fiction.

I'll check it out and change it. 

Not sure what's gone wrong. 

Posted : September 21, 2020 9:32 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: