Forum

Front page archives
 
Notifications
Clear all

Front page archives

9 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
266 Views
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
Topic starter
 

Can anyone explain why we use valuable front page space for archives that were never nibbed?

Makes no sense to me. By all means give forgotten poems or prose a second time round for new readers / members but why, when we have so many nibbed work from the past do we waste it in this way? 😳 😳 

 

Maybe have a new page that people can go to with a constant stream of older work but please leave the front page for CURRENT work!

 
Posted : February 10, 2021 5:29 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 

No use asking us, Alison. We are just in the dark as you are. Until there is a permanent webmaster/editor/administrator (call it what you will), nothing can progress. The site still needs an overhaul to function smoothly. 
Jim (Franciman) has kindly offered to act as a conduit through which to pass technical/admin concerns. So let's see if we can start a  communication channel. My first questions would be: 1) is there an authorised 'picker' as I noticed occasional items being selected; 
2) what is the roles of moderators now. No doubt other members have queries of their own.

 
Posted : February 12, 2021 4:13 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
Topic starter
 

I could not agree more. I am running out of steam and getting grumpy trying to do my best but we HAVE to devise a better structure!

Two people lately have thanked  ME for nibbing them but nibbers were always anonymous and should continue that way. 😔

I know of two who had that responsibility some time ago but one is deceased and the other long time left through health issues.

I do not want to be seen as being a big cheese because I am just a contributer like everyone else and being a moderater was ok because I have been here a good while but not as long as some.

The front page is awful I am so sorry to say.

It used to be so simply arranged with new work rotating and nibbed work standing out.

I think we need more nibbers as what speaks to one leaves another dry.

I have been considering my position here for a time.

I always supported the site and still do but suggestions need to be taken seriously and acted upon.

We have some great new members and my wish for everyone is to have it as a vibrant and challenging site. 

Not sure what else to say but I do feel we need more people with the motivation to read all the posts and keep the standard high or it just becomes a jaded 'you scratch my back and I will scratch yours ' and who wants that? Certainly not me.

This is a site in motion, growth and challenge. 

 

By all means have a sort of rotating access to earlier work but on another page 

I have seen one of my poems come up as old nibbed repeatedly but it's ridiculous to have the same old thing when many were nibbed.

Please believe me when I say that, not from a boastful situation but from a knowledge that something is not working well at all.

I hope you can see where I am coming from. I have written to Richard about all this but waiting for reply.

There are many ways we could make this into a more inclusive site but it needs input from everyone. 

🙁

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Posted : February 12, 2021 5:43 pm
ifyouplease
(@ifyouplease)
Posts: 552
Estimable Member
 

when you say rotating do mean like on old uka?

can the front page become less static? can there be only a latest submissions box and everything rotating then boxes of poetry and prose rotating too?

 

and for nibs?

 

nibs are lovely and thanks for the nibs I received. 

 
Posted : February 12, 2021 6:21 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
Topic starter
 

I seem to have a vague memory of how plain but useful the original site seemed to ne. I think it had prose or poetry starting with the latest then going onto others if the page allowed. Every nibbed piece was part of that so say, you click on the main page, it had lists of poetry and prose displayed and if a poem or piece of writing was displayed and happened to be nibbed, it was at the end of the line of that work so easy to see. Very basic but effective.

There's too much going on and as far as I can see, old nibbed work seems to be the same old things repeating themselves out of a cache of hundreds.!!! 🙁

Too many boxes,too complicated and so needs simplification. Going by my own website which was devised many years ago but upgraded from time to time, there are rotating say testimonials and comments of value.

they can be stopped at any time for anyone to look at what was written in their own time.

Some are as a revolving line of comments and some are simply a line of dots that can be clicked on.

(I do not think the line of dots would work here because on my site it's all about me  (lol ) but here we have many to be displayed) I am simply stating what is possible.

We could have the same sort of thing here where old nibbed work  constantly being presented for new viewing. This could go on a new page if necessary. I do think sometimes we need separate pages to simplify things.

I am no expert on computers but I did help to design a working model when I was nurse bank manager at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

I had been asked to do the job on returning to the NHS after being in management in private nurse agency where we were taken kicking and screaming into the computer age from when I started there. 

I said what would work to help us fill the shifts with available staff and the head guy from IT listened and accommodated that.
Before that it was two books and endless pieces of paper for a very large teaching hospital so I do have some idea what I am talking about even if I am not skilled in the makings of it.

Maybe we should have a zoom meeting to discuss it with all interested parties? I have no idea how to arrange that btw but I feel there are a good few people out there reading these threads and saying nothing when what they have to say could be genius.

Just saying. {blue}:sweaty:  

 
Posted : February 13, 2021 11:59 am
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 

If anyone could arrange a zoom meeting, we could meet and read our work. ABCtales are doing one on the 27th of this month and this will be the third. Meetings last two hours and have proved very successful. It may be a way of raising revenue as well; readers participate for free, while listeners may be asked to donate what they can afford.

 
Posted : February 13, 2021 5:37 pm
stormwolf reacted
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
Topic starter
 

That sounds a wonderful idea Luigi! 😍 

If we could drum up enough people willing to join it would truly give the site a blood transfusion. I still wait back any response from Richard btw. I haven't a clue how to arrange it. I live in hope.

I partook of a few poetry evenings round my way here in Edinburgh. Stockbridge where I live is renouned for artists, poets and writers and many other artisans too. It never got off the ground sadly before the dreaded plague set in. 😑 😑 

Thanks for the suggestions.

So much more life to at least communicate in person online than through the medium of words alone that can easily be misconstrued.

Alison x {blue}:hi:  

 
Posted : February 15, 2021 6:39 pm
ionicus
(@ionicus)
Posts: 404
Reputable Member
 

@stormwolf

Unfortunately, I haven't got the skill to arrange a zoom meeting although I have taken part in a few. We need a volunteer who knows how. 😎 

 
Posted : February 20, 2021 6:17 pm
stormwolf
(@stormwolf)
Posts: 310
Reputable Member
Topic starter
 

Oh well, back to the drawing board. 😕  

 
Posted : February 21, 2021 4:28 pm
Share: