Comments Stream

  • franciman

    From franciman on Picnic

    This is a really atmospheric, evocative piece of verse. I love the car anology = the snarl, sneer and snort. Worthy of the nomination as it stands. I do think it could do with another review, though. “We tidy up rising’ reads as one single action. ‘The car. The car” is an inelegant repeat for me? Perhaps you could also leave out ‘back’, in ‘back to the car’. And ‘into the lock’ after ‘she inserts the key’. It makes it seem less of a simple statement of fact for me..
    Cheers,
    Jim

    Go to comment
    2017/04/21 at 2:23 pm
  • e-griff

    From e-griff on Picnic

    I don’t know what happened but earlier I commented that this was an excellent description of a situation. Good job.

    Go to comment
    2017/04/21 at 1:22 pm
  • ionicus

    From ionicus on Picnic

    A very atmospheric poem full of imagery describing the alienation of two people. The line “The kids have gone- to God knows where” suggests to me that this is due to the empty net syndrome which has created a vacuum in their relationship. Yet ordinary rituals, like a picnic, are still performed by the couple who are in denial about the break up.
    Excellent writing, Aramis. Well done.

    Go to comment
    2017/04/21 at 12:46 pm
  • e-griff

    From e-griff on Zeezee Cop

    A fascinating story start. I enjoyed it
    One thing grated for me, zeezee. This is set in England, so why the American pronunciation?

    Go to comment
    2017/04/21 at 10:25 am
    • basetrojan

      From basetrojan on Zeezee Cop

      I know what you mean (ZZ Top?). You could say it’s a working title at the moment. My mum couldn’t understand why I’d called it zed zed cop.

      Go to comment
      2017/04/21 at 10:38 am
  • e-griff

    From e-griff on Hope

    Nice one, elf. This is a shakespearean sonnet. Just for your info, there are other types of sonnet with different forms but none as popular – for instance a Russian sonnet is also normally five feet to a line, but can have three four, or six. The original sonnets (Italian) had a abba rhyme pattern but English sonnets are always abab.
    (there – Thankyou Google)

    Go to comment
    2017/04/21 at 10:11 am
    • elfstone

      From Elfstone on Hope

      My thanks egriff for your thoughts on this. I always seem to write Shakespearean sonnets rather than Petrarchan and I have no idea why that is; it’s just the way they come to me. Glad you approve of this one. 🙂 Elfstone

      Go to comment
      2017/04/22 at 10:34 am
  • e-griff

    From e-griff on Target

    Excellent story. My dad was in the auxiliary airforce after the war and I remember they went to sylt for the summer camp in the 50’s. He brought me back a mouth organ, which was the prompt for me years later taking up the blues harmonica.

    Go to comment
    2017/04/21 at 9:42 am
    • skytrucker

      From skytrucker on Target

      Every fighter squadron went to Sylt for live air firing. Bloody marvellous place. There was a naturist area there aptly named (by the RAF) Barearse Beach. Flying the tug was a task most pilots tried to avoid like a dose of the clap!

      Go to comment
      2017/04/21 at 9:46 am
      • gerry

        From gerry on Target

        Sky, I worked on aircraft communications mainly Vampire and Venoms. My colleages and I used to cadge lift in old prop planes used for navigator training – to away football matches and concerts at the royal festival hall. We flew as aircrew, had parachutes but were never told how to use them 😉 Not as exciting as your experiences but not bad for national servicemen. Nice to see you back here, I have just recently returned to give it a try. Always enjoy reading about RAF experiences…
        Gerry.

        Go to comment
        2017/04/24 at 10:07 am
        • skytrucker

          From skytrucker on Target

          Thanks Gerry. Posted another this morning.

          Go to comment
          2017/04/24 at 10:57 am
  • skytrucker

    From skytrucker on Not me, but Ogden

    Clever old ON!
    Thanks Griff!

    Go to comment
    2017/04/21 at 7:36 am
  • skytrucker

    From skytrucker on Epic

    Great stuff dude.

    Go to comment
    2017/04/21 at 7:11 am
  • Hoodedpoet

    From Hoodedpoet on On the Beach

    Very evocative, descriptive but not overwritten. I got the picture of an old guy, alone, in a seaside town in winter with just his memories for company.

    Go to comment
    2017/04/20 at 9:29 pm
  • potleek

    From potleek on The Return of Mrs Brown

    Enjoyed the read very much. But you’ve got to continue with the rest of it.
    You can’t leave us up in the air like this…Tony

    Go to comment
    2017/04/20 at 9:28 pm