Comments Stream

  • Bhi

    From Bhi on Art Deco Child

    I’ve just started watching Babylon Berlin, and this poem took me straight into the streets of Berlin. It’s strange the connections we make and store, and how they wake at the whisper of the hypnotist’s voice, which is, essentially, our voice, but which to protect ourselves we project outside of ourselves..

    Great poem, G.

    Go to comment
    2020/11/13 at 10:36 am
    • Guaj

      From Guaj on Art Deco Child

      I have never been to Berlin, but I feel its atmosphere, probably thanks to documentaries and old films. I once had (not ‘had’!) a German colleague who looked eerily like Marlene Dietrich. She absolutely hated looking like her because she attracted so much attention and not always nice comments. And to make thing harder, she was a very shy and decent person. However, to me and I think most of my colleagues she personified the lost time of pre-Nazi Berlin.

      I don’t know this series I don’t have ITV here. Is it on Netflix?

      Go to comment
      2020/11/13 at 1:25 pm
      • Bhi

        From Bhi on Art Deco Child

        G, it’s on Sky. I’m sure that we all have doppelgangers; once I was taken for a presenter on channel 4, and I went along with that so I could get into film premieres and rub shoulders with the A-listers. Didn’t last long though.

        Go to comment
        2020/11/13 at 8:35 pm
        • Guaj

          From Guaj on Art Deco Child

          If it’s on Sky it might come on cable here sometime. Also on Netflix perhaps. I’ll take a look.

          Go to comment
          2020/11/14 at 9:20 am
  • Bhi

    From Bhi on Beamo's Gold part 5

    C, this is an extremely original voice.

    The only observation I have is that there are too many characters being introduced. I trust that their place in the story will grow and become clearer as the narrative progresses. Apart that this is a ripping yarn.

    B

    Go to comment
    2020/11/13 at 10:30 am
  • ChairmanWow

    From ChairmanWow on The Ghosts of River Valley Farm

    Nice piece. I saw an interview of Capote many years ago where he said that the inspiration for In Cold Blood was a cage filled with dogs about to butchered and eaten he saw while on a foreign trip.

    Go to comment
    2020/11/12 at 11:11 pm
    • Guaj

      From Guaj on The Ghosts of River Valley Farm

      I believe he would say that 🙂 But I’m not sure I would believe him.

      Go to comment
      2020/11/13 at 1:44 pm
      • ChairmanWow

        From ChairmanWow on The Ghosts of River Valley Farm

        Yes, he did embellish a lot on those old talk shows. He was a very sensitive soul who could easily be tormented over things. In this case the trapped puppies he claimed he saw as the condemned murderers.

        Go to comment
        2020/11/14 at 1:04 am
  • gee

    From gee on Feeling Blue

    It definitely made me smile, Luigi. Absolutely time for some light heartedness now, I think.

    Go to comment
    2020/11/12 at 11:52 am
    • ionicus

      From ionicus on Feeling Blue

      Never intended to be a literary gem, Gee, – limericks rarely are – but a lighthearted verse can make a serious point and, from what I was hearing, Trump was miffed because of the direction the U.S. election was going and that was what I wanted to convey.
      As far as I’m concerned Joe Biden is an unknown quantity and, who knows, maybe in the near future I will find a trait in his character that might deserve to be lampooned.

      Go to comment
      2020/11/12 at 12:20 pm
  • gee

    From gee on DUCKLING CALYPSO

    This sounds like such a perfect childrens book. I love the repetition in the last two lines. It’s exactly as a mother would say, emphasising the important parts.

    Go to comment
    2020/11/12 at 11:50 am
  • ionicus

    From ionicus on The Station Café -edited

    I am not going to add to the already lengthy commentary on passive voice or the suitability of using brand names, only to say that I enjoyed reading this very atmospheric piece and to suggest you replace the clunky “passive voice removed I hope” with a simple “edited”.
    Best, Luigi

    Go to comment
    2020/11/12 at 11:48 am
  • Bhi

    From Bhi on The Ghosts of River Valley Farm

    A great cocktail of words to ruminate upon. And I am sure he would “fall in love with himself.” Can’t see it any other way.

    Go to comment
    2020/11/12 at 10:57 am
  • stormwolf

    From stormwolf on DUCKLING CALYPSO

    A feel good poem. Children will love it and I can see it with a lovely illustration.

    Alison x

    Go to comment
    2020/11/12 at 8:45 am
  • stormwolf

    From stormwolf on The Ghosts of River Valley Farm

    Bravo atmospheric and well written. I confess I am not familiar with much of Truman Capote but that did not stop me enjoying the poem.

    Alison x

    Go to comment
    2020/11/12 at 8:00 am
    • Guaj

      From Guaj on The Ghosts of River Valley Farm

      Thanks Alison.
      I tried to read the book he wrote on the murders. Hard going. Some opinion say it ruined his writing career.
      His fiction work is interesting and much easier to read.
      Glad you enjoyed it. x

      Go to comment
      2020/11/12 at 9:37 am
  • stormwolf

    From stormwolf on Feeling Blue

    Away from election politics this is well written and did make me smile
    Alison x

    Go to comment
    2020/11/12 at 7:55 am
    • ionicus

      From ionicus on Feeling Blue

      This was the object of the exercise< Alison. To raise a smile or even a laugh, not to express a personal opinion. From what I hear even the Americans are divided on who they want.

      Go to comment
      2020/11/12 at 9:39 am