Comments Stream

  • Daffni

    From Daffni on Winter

    It shouldn’t be here. Should be under poetry.

    Go to comment
    2024/04/15 at 4:27 pm
    • Daffni

      From Daffni on Winter

      Hello again Trefor. I went to edit and then clicked poetry [although could not get non ficion to go way] and then update but each time I tried it was still non fiction and not poetry. I understand all your advice but don’t think I understand the site.

      Go to comment
      2024/04/18 at 4:58 pm
    • Gothicman

      From Gothicman on Winter

      Daffni, so good to see and read your fine work again, that the site so desparately needs! Your choice of words so recognizable in winter here.
      To get this piece under ‘Poetry’, when logged in and on this side, you’ll see either top left, or on the right, ‘Edit Post’ and ‘Edit Submission’ respectively. Click on one of them, and you’ll be in the ‘Edit’ page, where you can click again the ‘Poetry’ catagory in the list on the right, then click on the blue box on right ‘Update’, wait a moment till it is updated, then click on ‘View Post’ almost at the top, and it you’ll be back looking at the published poem again, now in ‘Poetry’.
      Hope this helps.

      Go to comment
      2024/04/15 at 6:10 pm
  • Daffni

    From Daffni on Returning Home

    A lovely idea. Think I’d rather start again here. Childhood had its disadvantages unless I could arange that it could include my father but he is already gone. Perhaps I’d opt for here in Wales.

    Go to comment
    2024/04/15 at 4:26 pm
    • Gothicman

      From Gothicman on Returning Home

      Thanks Daffni, it’s long been known that actually descending into sleep, was best achieved by adhering to three factors on closing your eyes, 1, a memory from distant past, as these need more psychic energy to be recalled (starving new fresh memories from claiming expression) 2. a positive, happy memory, so not alerting defensive mechanisms 3. a memory complex enough to keep you there for the few minutes required to induce sleep. You can use the same memory again and again, as continued use doesn’t reduce its effect. I grew up until 17 in an old Victorian house, two main floors, + attic room and basement rooms, in all 7 rooms, some very large. Starting at the front door, I proceed through its layout, remembering its furnitue, fireplaces, occupants etc., usually asleep by the fourth room, so I’ll have to start at the other end to keep them included! Many of my employments were real sleep disturbers, so this sleep aid gratefully used! A Welsh farmhouse would be a perfect sleep vehicle!

      Go to comment
      2024/04/15 at 7:10 pm
      • Daffni

        From Daffni on Returning Home

        Your big house sounds good for wandering around in sleep. Hopemthis will be readable as I have just spent hours gettinmg talked through reopening my Coop bank account [they have no branches in Wales] and bow havw left my glasses in other room. Tomorrow I must try to find out how to avoid my post being labelled non-fiction// Fingers croses.

        Go to comment
        2024/04/16 at 5:51 pm
  • Daffni

    From Daffni on Winter

    This was suposed to be posted as poetry but I can’t do it as I clicked on poetry in list , not non fiction. But this site seems determined it is non-fiction. But is a poem — or was when we had a worse winter. I give up.

    Go to comment
    2024/04/15 at 3:26 pm
  • Gothicman

    From Gothicman on Nothing but a Soppy Song

    I remember this poem as one of your best, especially with regard to your style, but also because it is very authentic and special to you, being about memories of your father? The good thing for us is your fresh start in UKA enables you to re-submit your earlier work too, some with a little editing with fresh eyes. Fascinating as usual, and appreciated!

    Go to comment
    2024/04/06 at 9:24 am
    • ifyouplease

      From ifyouplease on Nothing but a Soppy Song

      it was never about such events and memories it was about a combination of psychological conditions creating desires, viewpoints based on the totality of my current philosophy and workshoping my self to write something new, i removed the melodramatic lines about the father and some other melodramatic images too. in a way now the poem is far more positive and optimistic. thanks Trevor

      Go to comment
      2024/04/06 at 9:54 am
  • ifyouplease

    From ifyouplease on Not Quite Spring

    here too, is it a comparison between Japanese and Norse mythology?

    Go to comment
    2024/04/06 at 5:42 am
    • Gothicman

      From Gothicman on Not Quite Spring

      Luckily, it’s warmer again now. I see it was 27°c in Athens yesterday. No, this is just what happened on that day I did a bit of leisure walking. Diffent things signifying coming spring, plus a hint at the increasing frailness of the magic that makes it all happen. A write in the box, I’m afraid, not good!

      Go to comment
      2024/04/06 at 9:23 am
      • ifyouplease

        From ifyouplease on Not Quite Spring

        so here too may be something to think about because it is needed more than anything in the poem — makes it significant enough to re read it , can you see what i mean?

        Go to comment
        2024/04/06 at 10:01 am
        • Gothicman

          From Gothicman on Not Quite Spring

          Well both Japanese and old Norse mythology have harmonious, peaceful, here ultimately, fertility themes, but, far too many of the the old Norse sagas were more foreboding, warnings of war and doom, so perhaps, justapposed, though this was intended.   

          Go to comment
          2024/04/07 at 8:35 pm
          • ifyouplease

            From ifyouplease on Not Quite Spring

            well i’ve been reading this one all this time and not commenting because i saw a big poem here hiding in two words -here too- and only the question mark is problematic otherwise it is well paced and exceptionally meaningful. overall, the other exclamation mark is in my opinion, unnecessary the question mark is …questionable these are the only drawbacks otherwise i’d pick this one immediately. i also think two autumns now would be much better if used as the last line, thanks

            Go to comment
            2024/04/08 at 4:49 am
          • Gothicman

            From Gothicman on Not Quite Spring

            I’ve removed the exclamation mark as I think you’re right, and many poets I’ve noticed don’t like the use of them at all. The poem is an inner conversation, which most people, who’ve suffered loss, doing things alone, have a tendency to hold for awhile afterwards, while observing ongoing life. Thanks for your good advice!

            Go to comment
            2024/04/08 at 3:09 pm
  • Daffni

    From Daffni on Not Quite Spring

    like that one. Really makes me feel Spring is really coming.

    Go to comment
    2024/04/02 at 4:59 pm
    • Gothicman

      From Gothicman on Not Quite Spring

      Thanks Daffni! This was last Friday, sunshine and +14c, today the snow has come back with a vengeance, drivers are rushing to put studded winter tyres back on, by the weekend it’ll be warm again, and Spring will restart!

      Go to comment
      2024/04/02 at 10:50 pm
      • Daffni

        From Daffni on Not Quite Spring

        I hope so! I’m now going to have another go at looking for the page with the details along the top or over on right. So far the maroon bar always has little lines on right and menu on left.

        Go to comment
        2024/04/03 at 4:51 pm
        • Gothicman

          From Gothicman on Not Quite Spring

          I’m a little confused as to the page you’re actually on each time. When you first go in UKAuthors at the start, you are on the ‘Home’ page, when you log-in, you’re in the ‘Backpage’.If you follow what I’ve written in A worthy Child’ in reply to your latest comment, you’ll get to the larger text instructions I wrote for you, which you should study diligently, till you’ve got the basics of site orientation, it’s all quite simple really, it’s really difficult for you with reduced sight. I wish you luck! Trevor

          Go to comment
          2024/04/03 at 7:57 pm
  • Gothicman

    From Gothicman on In a holding pattern

    A poetry style to make you think and study every word, testing interpretive skills! Sometimes too esoteric, not easily or mis- understood, but an intriguing read, that feels authentic and honest. It’s meaning not necessary to reveal, for it’s an enjoyable challenge anyway. You’re at you best again Nic!

    Go to comment
    2024/04/01 at 10:39 am
    • ifyouplease

      From ifyouplease on In a holding pattern

      the marriage is over, divorcing him after the way he treats me especially now after the accident. temporarily sharing the same roof. thanks Trevor

      Go to comment
      2024/04/01 at 10:55 am
      • Gothicman

        From Gothicman on In a holding pattern

        No wonder you’re having a tough time, but keep holding on and through to better times! I hope you’re not deterred from posting more work when receiving so little acknowledgement in return, like others seem to be!
        Externalising thoughts and emotions into words, and knowing they are read, perhaps helpful in the silence, is the crux of it all anyway, unless it’s your life-bread!

        Go to comment
        2024/04/02 at 8:29 am
        • ifyouplease

          From ifyouplease on In a holding pattern

          i am more than glad it is finally over but it is a financial labyrinth from which only a white dove can escape.

          Go to comment
          2024/04/02 at 12:23 pm
  • Gothicman

    From Gothicman on Going back

    Science accellerates life, culture applies the brakes, both so necessary to keep the right balance. The ‘non-erasing duster’ an important part in accepting all that’s been, at least for things not traumatic, ‘to boost the heart’? (Would ‘close-up’ be better?). Like your photo, is that the French professor’s Renault? An enjoyable and profound read!

    Go to comment
    2024/04/01 at 10:26 am
    • supratik

      From supratik on Going back

      Thank you. Yes, it was me with the duster that was with me for a long time.

      Go to comment
      2024/04/01 at 1:37 pm
  • Gothicman

    From Gothicman on Silver Flash

    Brilliant! So glad you’re feeling well enough now to find your way back and share with us your fine poetry again. Your enviable style reminiscent of our old friend, the site’s other talented poet, Leila. As always, an intriguing read from your pen!

    Go to comment
    2024/04/01 at 10:09 am
  • supratik

    From supratik on The Temporary Ecstasy Of Ignorance

    Impressive.

    Go to comment
    2024/04/01 at 2:52 am
    • Gothicman

      From Gothicman on The Temporary Ecstasy Of Ignorance

      Thank you Supratik, appreciated! Trying to keep things turning over with anything that crops up till better times. Good to see you submitting again too.

      Go to comment
      2024/04/01 at 10:13 am
1 2 3 660