Sitting in a Twinkling Shack

I’m sitting in a twinkling shack

or palace, call it what you will.

Porcelain angels glint and crack

on the windowsill.

She stirs my tea, she jams my toast,

she scrubs my plate until it bends.

I mustn’t help my shuffling host,

as that offends.

So I just wait and sit and stare,

waited on and hypnotised.

I’m locked into a frilly chair,

immobilised,

a helpless slave to servitude

as years are syphoned off my life.

Don’t take them! God! Already you

have eighty-five.

© Gammon 2020
Views: 169
critique and comments welcome.
Notify of
24 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Littleditty
1 month ago

sip tea -small teacups need refilling – keep sipping…loved this wee poem. What’s the form? Great form!

Littleditty

Saphhic ode? Der. Brill!

Ifyouplease
1 month ago

yes he is the master of form that mastered him.

Ifyouplease
Reply to  Gammon

you’re welcome

Ifyouplease
Reply to  Gammon

Can that be Love, that drinks another as a sponge drinks water,
That clouds with jealousy his nights, with weepings all the day,
To spin a web of age around him, grey and hoary, dark;
Till his eyes sicken at the fruit that hangs before his sight?
Such is self-love that envies all, a creeping skeleton,
With lamplike eyes watching around the frozen marriage bed!

daughters of Albion

Littleditty
Reply to  Gammon

Our River Lea is famous at the mo in my yesterday poem…which doesn’t say river Lea in it 🙁 all those words and it doesn’t get a name. Mistake!) Saving your Hertfordshire poem for breaktime – work now

Littleditty
Reply to  ifyouplease

cool!

Ifyouplease
Reply to  Gammon

actually I wanted to find a connection between Lesbos and Albion so I googled

I found this amazing poem, scanned it found the age part made me think of your last line.

So… you might know more about this poem Daughters of Albion and is there a connection? Or has the universe been playing games with me?

Ifyouplease
Reply to  Gammon

if you search for Lesbos Albion I get top result the title of the poem by William Blake. I do find some fascinating things about Albion and Ancient Greece though… from Brittanica: Albion, the earliest-known name for the island of Britain. It was used by ancient Greek geographers from the 4th century BC and even earlier, who distinguished “Albion” from Ierne (Ireland) and from smaller members of the British Isles. The Greeks and Romans probably received the name from the Gauls or the Celts. The name Albion has been translated as “white land”; and the Romans explained it as referring… Read more »

Ifyouplease
Reply to  Gammon

I don’t think so well not at least in my timeline…

Ifyouplease
Reply to  Gammon

who says that it is a bastard plant? can you explain what this could possibly mean?

Ifyouplease
Reply to  Gammon

I know what it means but….but did he?

yeah it is a bastard plant.

there is a myth gods contesting who is able to feel bigger sexual pleasure, Zeus or Hera. and the goddess won with her 12 hidden testicles. did you know that?

Ifyouplease
Reply to  Gammon

many myths have been censored, I have a copy which I found searching in garbage somebody had thrown away old books.

it was a rare publication, second, before myths were censored.

another interesting myth was about Zeus and Shame/Αιδώς… where he placed her as a Quality in Humans and how she reacted and under which condition she would accept to… enter.

Flag Content