Latest Submissions

The Start of the Salmon Season in England

Everyday was summer, cliff edge house, the Northern Sea. We caught game  and drove Japanese. The novel naivety of an electric roof. Often you stood. Half in and half out, the breeze would blow a smile across your beautiful face. Living like monks, before the dissolution of monasteries. Everything in our world was good. But coasts erode, winter corrodes and words now fall like winter rain from your mouth, denouncing past ways of living. And ...

Survey

It was my first egress for weeks. I wore a mask, I reeked of hand gel and I kept twice the recommended distance from the next human being on my way to the local shop. That wasn’t an issue once inside. I was the only punter there. I picked up my paper.  At the till, behind the plastic barrier, behind a face shield, behind a surgical mask, the newsagent invited me to use the payment ...

Wills’ conflict

Discovering oneself is the discovery of will We're 'The God particle' in the Gods conflicts, a War of God's will  Death is the last chapter written as a will Thus the question remains unanswered and always will ...

You can’t win them all.

A short fantasy that could have happened in our camp in 1946. This is my return to the site after a long absence ...

Fate and Fatima

It requires someone with balls to defy the Sultan but none of the chaps around here are up to the task. He made sure that they didn't have any ideas of consorting with his wives and concubines by castrating the lot. I have managed to escape the eunuchs' fate by a clever ruse. I smuggled myself into the harem dressed as a woman so ugly that he wouldn't have dreamed of making a pass at ...

Conversations on Father’s Day

I should tell you, he was a forceful man. Perhaps he had to be. Beware the wrath of Father, eh? ...

Song for ‘Fizzy’

For the passing of a friend ...

The Gigolo

Posing of such magnitude took a great deal of effort.  Paul made it look easy, unstudied even.    The arm draped across the back of the chair; legs crossed at the knee; languid hand, palm down.  But the strain showed  in the eyes. It was a mistake to close his eyes whilst his head tilted to face the sun.  There was puffy discolouration, visible at that angle, beneath both eyes.  I’d never seen him take ...

The Martians Have Landed

Worrying times. “You look worried. What's troubling you, Watson?” “It is the lockdown, Sir.” “Dammit, man! We are all concerned about it but we have to put up with the inconvenience if we want to get rid of the Covid virus.” “It is not that, Sir, it's the traffic light system.” “What is the problem? It is elementary dear Watson, you don't need a Sherlock to explain it. You are are an experienced officer and ...

Lockdown

[responsivevoice_button voice="US English Female" buttontext="Speak Female"] The new normal created a new economic driver and race, and population control over time – The Zombie. The United Nations ‘UNMZI’ – ‘United Nations Mission Zombie Integration’ and slogan ‘We live off each other’.  Singing tonight the first Zombie, ‘Zalo’ live-ish on ‘Lockdowns got Talent’: Simon “Excited to see you in the flesh. Let me pick your brains, why singing, Zalo?” Zalo “So nice to see a happy ...