Latest Poetry

Monaco 1978.

Monaco 1978.
Picked

Kicked In The Side. I was kicked in the side By a man with a smile. His uniform and pistol Gave him away. A policeman No name needed. Just a boot and a smile. More a grin! Accented French. “No sleeping here” On a soft warm beach, In Monaco. Surrounded by the  Filthy rich, And yachts by the mile. Limos and porches. A railway Europass and about fifty quid. kipping on the beach With the ...
Homage To Shane MacGowan

Homage To Shane MacGowan
Picked

One of this centuries finest writers beset by the Irish creatives tendency for self destruction.  Of course you're always gonna be better off reading his words than anything I can write about him. Homage to Shane Macgowan I saw a pot of gold Sitting slumped by the road He was beautiful and broken. And shone with alabaster Broken teeth and shame. His words were gold. He was rotting In his prison But still glowed  With ...
psalm 22 v 1

psalm 22 v 1
Picked

Psalm 22 v 1   ‘Why have you forsaken us?’   Easter Sunday   from long neglected cathedra across empty rain cleansed holy squares weedy men in giants’ robes pronounce hackneyed promises of everlasting happiness through microphones to statues, icons, and pigeon flocks   at Beachy Head   the hopeless queue to cast off their cares singly or in families arm in arm, hand in hand   as they go some call out, ‘Geronimo!’ exhibitionists ...
Christmas is Coming

Christmas is Coming

Sometimes we forget the real message ...
This Side of Armageddon

This Side of Armageddon
Picked

  One day soon, the clocks will stop but we shall go on, regardless. Forging new beginnings and sharing restless dreams. I walk by the river often, where nobody goes alone and whisper your name to the wind. For I have to share what makes my heart glad. I shall be there by evening breathless, just in time to catch the golden fire of the sun going down for the very last time and hear ...
Our priceless abode

Our priceless abode

snows are melting, the temperature of our  solitary nest increasing beyond limit, join hands and act  to reduce carbon emissions  in the balconies, windows,  doorways, porticos attics, terrace of our  unique home; for some time, scrap the  borders that you have  scratched over it, the indigenous people  are suffering the most  for our expensive habit, look beyond the codes of selfish boundaries, unite in action, not in mere words to save the earth,  our priceless ...
Keep doing it

Keep doing it

O, my talkative mind! I know you cannot shut up, be silent; so keep saying, I love, I love, I love, I love, I love, I love, I love, I love; that's all you need to do to see the magic, to experience the miracle; you'll stop feeling the void of worthlessness, no longer will you be unconscious, or ashamed of the gap between who you are, and who you aren't, yet  pretend to be proud, ...
Sardines

Sardines

observations on sardines for breakfast and the tramp i meet on the train home ...
/ / Poetry / 3 Comments on Sardines
East Hull Christmas

East Hull Christmas
Picked

East Hull Christmas   my time with Tessa was pretty much up   I felt it in my water, sex had dwindled from a summer of no holds barred to an autumn of no holds - full stop   so when Tess asked if I’d be her school Santa – I figured, I’d misread the runes and told myself I had a chance   I do not ‘do’ Christmas for the usual reasons but reckoned ...
Harpooning the Whale

Harpooning the Whale

A Lampoon, I think... At any rate, it's the first thing I have penned for an age ...
Waiting

Waiting

...
/ / Poetry / 9 Comments on Waiting
Camera Obscura

Camera Obscura

I originally called this piece "Reality Questioned", however that seemed rather a cliché.  Our reality is being changed for us: Some say the result of our meddling with Nature and disturbing the environment of animals, but I believe it is much more than that. We are fearing the tiniest or floating particles in the air, yes, but we are also being forced to change the very everyday aspect of our lives... and are seeing things ...