Forum

Would you work for ...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Would you work for £50k a year?

6 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
1,765 Views
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Posts: 45
Trusted Member
Topic starter
 

Because that is what f1 pit crews receive.

Sounds like a great deal, swanning around racetracks, seeing great places

No, the truth is different. They are away from home for 200days a year. They don't see the races except to check on TV to see if their car has a problem, and have no time off. Immediately a race finishes they start to pack up and drive to the next track where they start preparing the cars for the next race.

Now would you like £50k a year.

In truth I was surprised. I knew they were worked hard, but it was only a TV programme with an in depth look at the Williams team that showed me the extent of that work.

Do you think they earn their money or should they be paid more? 🙂 

 
Posted : September 19, 2017 2:51 pm
stevef
(@stevef)
Posts: 746
Reputable Member
 

When I was living in Jerez de la Frontera a few years ago I got talking to an Italian Honda racing team member in my local bar. Turns out he was staying in a hotel across the road whilst they were racing (or testing) at the circuit and wanted some time out from his colleagues. He was a medic of some sort involved with tailored seating and physiology. Very interesting to talk to.

No glamour, he said, just as you mention. Excellent pay but very little time at home. Alright if you're a young single person I guess.

 
Posted : September 20, 2017 8:59 am
e-griff
(@e-griff)
Posts: 45
Trusted Member
Topic starter
 

I can see it would be fun, challenging work, good team spirit, achievement (even for minor teams). But you wonder if they have wives or partners. I used to fly off for 3 weeks at a time a few times a year, and was often away for some days, but that is hardly the same. (My wife is an independent character so I was lucky -  well no, that's why I married her 42 years ago). I did fly her and the kids over to a luxury hotel in Germany where I was managing a project, but I hardly saw them. Still, they enjoyed themselves by the swimming pool etc. 

 But 200 days! 

 
Posted : September 22, 2017 6:23 pm
andrea
(@andrea)
Posts: 190
Prominent Member Admin
 

Well, my son works his arse off, on shifts that change all the time (7am-2pm, 3pm - 11pm etc) for sometimes 6 days a week for 20,000 - so yes, I imagine he'd do that...(mind you, wages here are notoriously bad)

 
Posted : September 22, 2017 7:13 pm
pronto
(@pronto)
Posts: 18
Eminent Member
 

£50K a year sounds nice, but work for it? God forfend! 🙂

 

 
Posted : October 17, 2017 6:30 pm
jay12 reacted
stevef
(@stevef)
Posts: 746
Reputable Member
 

The pay scales in some sectors vary widely. I've worked in aviation for pushing on 40 years and seen how much it can differ per area (and country). For example, wages in the south-west of England are ridiculously low, probably because employers know that most employees are parochial. The last time I worked at Exeter Airport (2004), the local DFS (furniture) store was paying almost the same wage for warehouse workers. Right now I'm earning early to mid thirties and that's not a great deal considering the responsibilities and hard work to get my qualifications. Then again, I'm not working on large aircraft any more; they're all either beer cans now or in museums. Boeings, Airbus and bizjets are where the money is nowadays. Me, I'm more of a freight dog.

Best paid job I ever had was in Zaire (now DRC) back in the early nineties. Bloody grim place though; a year was enough for me.

 
Posted : October 17, 2017 6:50 pm
Share: