Comments Stream

  • stevef

    From stevef on Man-Corn in the Promised Land II

    It’s a dark read for sure but then again North Korea must be a very dark place to be for most of the population. I’ve read that cannibalisation isn’t unknown.
    It’s pieces like this that remind us how lucky we are to live in a Western civilisation (for all its faults).
    Well-written, CW.

    Go to comment
    2020/12/25 at 12:18 pm
  • stormwolf

    From stormwolf on We're going down the pub.

    A few minor things need attending to here 😉 People(‘)s faces,
    The good old Polar Bear. capital letters as you used further down when you mentioned the pub again.

    To rave somemore some more two words
    You also do not start every line with a capital so either one thing or the other.
    I hope you don’t mind this honest crit. The thing is…if nobody points out our errors we can never progress.

    Other than that, a very interesting snap-shot of a time in the past!

    Alison x

    Go to comment
    2020/12/24 at 6:45 pm
    • Mentalelf

      From Mentalelf on We're going down the pub.

      No problem at all, I appreciate the critique. Thank you. I really should pay more attention, sometimes I do. But….

      Go to comment
      2020/12/24 at 9:03 pm
  • stormwolf

    From stormwolf on THE GIGOLO’S LAMENT  - a passing tilt at TS

    Absolutely fabulous! My kind of poetry. I love the sheer exposure, the reality of the feelings of the loss of all things young and ripe. The horrible realisation of the passage of time and the futility of that life.

    It comes to us all but set in this scene it is very dreadful and hopeless. The choice of words was very necessary and potent used in this way. This would go into my favs if we get that back in action.
    First class poetry.
    Alison x

    Go to comment
    2020/12/24 at 6:36 pm
    • Bhi

      From Bhi on THE GIGOLO’S LAMENT  - a passing tilt at TS

      Hi Alison, apologies for late reply, but the imbibing of certain liquids of high medicinal value prohibited the use of the pc!

      Thank you for the generous comments; this was a poem once again promoted by a moment of “seeing” in Madrid, and the cadence fell into place when the first book i laid my eyes on on entering our home was “The Waste Land”.

      all the best

      bhi

      Go to comment
      2020/12/26 at 1:35 pm
  • stormwolf

    From stormwolf on Make Mine A Double

    I found this very sad. I ‘got it’ totally of course but the progression through the changing mental states and physical difficulties…the many reasons someone can justify the decision to know they are on the slippery slope but still continue…affects me deeply.
    I come from the Highlands where we were weaned on whiskey lol but I cannot enjoy the reading of it.

    As nursing students we were well known for liking a drink to work hard and play hard…but never to this extent. Probably because we had to work in the morning. 😉

    I also think of my mother and how much she detested my father drinking.
    Alison x

    Go to comment
    2020/12/24 at 6:27 pm
    • Mentalelf

      From Mentalelf on Make Mine A Double

      Thanks Storm. I’m sorry it made you sad. I’m sure you did see plenty in the highlands. I was at sea for many years and never once sailed on a ship without at least one alcoholic. And we all colluded, drank with them, covered for them when they couldn’t function. You know Shane Macgowan drank his first full bottle of whiskey aged eleven. We also had the work hard play hard ethos. most of us coped and it was a merry go round. Maybe that also explains why so many, and I mean a lot, of seamen were married to nurses, that and when we were on leave your partners shift could always be ignored and not lead to absences that hurts many nurses relationships.

      Go to comment
      2020/12/24 at 9:00 pm
  • stormwolf

    From stormwolf on All That Glitters . . . .

    The ending kicked me in the guts..or as a healer would put it…got me right in my emotional energy center.
    We have to be more conscious of what reality really is. For far too long we just accept what is the given narrative. High definition as you expose here, can be the catalyst for seeing the real truth in full technicolour.

    A whistle-blower drone soldier has come our recently and exposed what it does to the soul to play with a deadly killing machine as though it was a game on the PC.

    To divorce the person from the reality of incessant killing of people they do not even know, just because they have been given ‘the narrative’

    I pray the coming years are going to see the total destruction of the ruling elites who mastermind all wars and treat soldiers and everybody else as of no consequence.

    I could go on all day. So better stop here.

    A fine poem indeed.
    Alison x

    Go to comment
    2020/12/24 at 6:12 pm
    • Guaj

      From Guaj on All That Glitters . . . .

      Hi Alison, thanks for you very thoughtful comment. The thought that computerised weapons de-humanises soldiers is a chilling prospect.
      I worry about AI weapons, if a frightened enemy soldier looks them in the eye, they would even notice and just kill as programmed.

      I hope your prayers get answered

      Go to comment
      2020/12/25 at 12:36 pm
  • stevef

    From stevef on Beamo's Gold part 15

    He fell straight back to the ground, wailing with that powerful castrati voice, released all of his suffering back to the world just like the blood exploding out of his heart.

    A skilful example of making just a few words say an awful lot. Nice work, CW.

    Go to comment
    2020/12/24 at 9:29 am
    • ChairmanWow

      From ChairmanWow on Beamo's Gold part 15

      Steve, thanks again. What i am working for is a basic action-adventure story, what J R R Tolkien meant when he talked about helping your fellow prisoner in the this world escape through reading. If I can get more into it that is frosting on the cake.

      Go to comment
      2020/12/24 at 7:08 pm
  • stevef

    From stevef on Beamo's Gold part 14

    Bhi’s got good intuition about your characters.
    A good read, as I’ve come to expect. No dead spots, this story always seems to be going somewhere.

    Go to comment
    2020/12/23 at 7:59 pm
    • ChairmanWow

      From ChairmanWow on Beamo's Gold part 14

      Thanks again, Steve. I am a slow writer and am concerned i won’t get it all down. Working full time and kid and all that.

      Go to comment
      2020/12/24 at 7:00 pm
  • stevef

    From stevef on Beamo's Gold part 13

    Another good read with a couple of reservations. This didn’t fit in, to my eyes at least:
    The impact shuddered his entire being.’
    It makes me think of overblown Edwardian writing and it’s not part of your style from what I’ve read of yours.
    I won’t mention this again but I still think you’re not doing your otherwise-solid story any favours by sliding into the passive voice at times. It detunes the ‘nowness’ of the scene/s and gives a slight air of underconfidence in your characters.
    Anyway, that aside, it’s the sort of book that I’d read a chapter of each night. I like quirky writing. 🙂

    Steve

    Go to comment
    2020/12/23 at 7:48 pm
    • ChairmanWow

      From ChairmanWow on Beamo's Gold part 13

      Thanks Steve. Your insightful reading is why I post here. (All the other creative writing sites are trash in my opinion). What I will say about that line, during the handful of times that i got myself in a fistfight or the many wrestling matches on the high school team, i vividly remember that giving the opponent a surprise impact or me getting one seemed to affect the entire body. I will look at that line again.

      Go to comment
      2020/12/24 at 6:55 pm
  • stevef

    From stevef on Beamo's Gold part 12

    Addictive reading, CW! I think you occasionally take the edge off by slipping into a passive voice though. No gripes otherwise; it’s an entertaining story. 🙂

    Go to comment
    2020/12/23 at 7:08 pm
    • ChairmanWow

      From ChairmanWow on Beamo's Gold part 12

      Steve, thanks for the comment. I will be going over the story once i get the first draft done. Your observations about tense and passive voice will be addressed.

      Go to comment
      2020/12/24 at 6:47 pm
  • Bhi

    From Bhi on The Silent Valley

    This is a truly remarkable poem. The pace and imagery all combine to create a stunning piece of art.

    Go to comment
    2020/12/23 at 4:16 pm
    • swissterrace

      From swissterrace on The Silent Valley

      Hi

      Thanks for the positive comments. I haven’t been on this site at all this year so it was was nice to see that you read one of my poems and liked it.

      Go to comment
      2020/12/24 at 11:29 am